Do you think the United States will ever pass an amendment making atheism against the law?

Yes! I know, this may sound like a ridiculous idea on its surface but after having read many of the ‘big atheists’ as well as books like ‘assault on reason’, ‘idiot America’ and others, I began to wonder about it somewhat. Then last night I caught this story on MSNBC and seriously began to wonder.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show...

Yes, I know, watching Rachel Maddow is much like listening to a chicken talk but the interview does make one wonder. I mean we are talking about Christian Conservatives and Evangelicals (CCE) and for some reason this presidential cycle the CCE seems to be crapping out some pretty scary presidential candidates. As if 8 years of Bush style politics caused any remaining republican ‘person of character’ (if such a thing exists) to suddenly vanish and be replaced by these religio-nutjobs like Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, and I’m sure we’ll be hearing about others as the months pass.

My biggest concern though is that the CCE have managed to create a larger pool of potential presidential candidates, these candidates each uphold to ideologies that, like their supporters, are far from rational and seem primarily based on fear, apathy and just plain ignorance. And just like Bush, I wouldn’t be surprised if shortly after winning election the elected nutjob doesn’t come on TV and ask the American public to “Imagine with me this new fear”, that of non-secularism.

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen a change in folks that where once not seeing the drama.. they see it now. Religion almost broke America. God? Nobody can subsidize god w/a straight face and not piss off poor or disenfranchised people. . that's my humble opinion. There's decades of modern day evolution that's outpaced religion; wake up and smell that reality. It's beaming to you this txt on fiber optics and lasers w/rainbow light as digits instead of 0's and 1's... c'mon. Secular United States of America or bust. Simple and proven.
The constitution of the great state that I reside in , North Carolina, specifically forbids you holding public office if you do not believe in God. This recently became an issue with a city counselman  in a local city. The federal constitution still trumps  the state constitution here but no one seems overly upset with that provision and there are no proposals to revise the document.  It pays to be cognizant of the fragile veneer that civil society really is.

Have you seen how hard it is to get everyone to agree to save the US economy from certain disaster on Aug 2nd?  Creating any kind of 'anti-atheist' law wouldn't ever get past committee to vote on.

I'm starting to think herding congressman is like herding cats, and herding atheists is like herding cats, therefore congressman are atheists :)

I wish they were Starscream! :)

Congress may come up with an anti atheist law which may not really have a chance of passing. But if past history is any indicator.( Does anyone remember the endless debate over the stupid flag burning amendment?) Congress has shown it accells at one thing besides honoring sports heroes. That would be wasting gobs of time on irrelevant bullshit while the wheels are falling off of the country.

Wait a minute Steve, so your saying that this country practices a form of “Smoke and Mirrors” Democracy? Parrish the thought. And here I thought we had the best political system in the entire free world.

:D

Well, many of the conservative 'cats' in Congress have signed a 'no tax pledge' that they're holding to like some sort of sacred oath.  So many HAVE been successfully herded under the shepherd's hook of Grover Norquist.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service