I think that religion didn't cause anything good but only start wars, create gilt , hold science back , repressing women's rights, repress sexual subjects , promotes violence racism sectrianism backwardness discrimination ignorance , violates human rights , opression of homosexuals , bigotry , hatred , extremism , terrorism . But sometimes it helps people cope with their problems. I want to hear your opinions and arguments. Plus excuse my English since it's a second language. 

PS : I meant abolish not by forcing but using logic and reason.

Views: 2515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it wasn't for religion we would not know the term, the 'devils advocate.'

Furthermore, religion has lead to more paid holidays such as Christmas and Easter. I know that it holds science back and causes oppression and war but this does not affect me personally. I was educated by the Marist Brothers, the Christian brothers and the Marx brothers, and only came across two paedophiles. I didn't get tagged.

There are many poor, uneducated peasants who have incorrigible supernatural beliefs and religion institutionalises them and keeps them in their place.

So next time you think about religion think about Joseph Stalin and the position of religion in Russia today.

In the words of Napoleon Bonaparte “Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”

If I could wake up tomorrow and religion never existed I would say yes. I'm a firm believer in Natural Selection, even if that means I'm not selected. In regards to our current situation, If all religion just slowly faded into the abyss I would be ok with that. For it to just be taken away suddenly would cause chaos beyond comprehension. My hopes are that someday everyone can learn to be human without an imaginary friend.

Yes it should be abolished. It's a demonstrable abysmal failure and it's now utterly redundant apart from in the oppression department, possibly. 

Good reply Kalliope and I agree with you! We should be free to believe or not to believe. A world without religion would be a better world. That's why we are here to spread the seed of Freethought.
Great discussion Ibrahim! Very thought provoking!

If you attempt to abolish religion, you engage in the very same thing which the religious do. The prosecution, and persecution, of those who commit "thought crimes." While I would like to see religion go away, I really don't want to live in a society where simply thinking about something is considered an offense against the social order. Take a look at medieval Europe, or the current state of medieval society in the Islamic world. Does anyone really want that, on behalf of atheists, or anyone other world view?

Well stated.

Pat that is well put. I would not want that.

I agree with Pat on this.

You cannot be a FreeThinker (Which I prefer as a simili to Atheist) if there is some legal impediment to you expressing non-violently your beliefs.

So long as religious observance is fully optional for all participants and so long as the outward expression of religion does not encroach on the property, person or rights of others then it should be allowed. 

There is one particular religion that I know of that does incite followers to violence and to persecution of others. This does raise an interesting problem..

Yes I would like to see it abolished but not by denying people their right to practice their chosen religion. If we did that then we are no better than the religious fundamentalist who want to impost their religion  on us.  As much as I oppose religion I support our Constitution. 

I would not mind religion per se if believers would leave it a private matter and not try, sometimes vigorously, to spread their delusion to others. Christians, for example, are mandated (supposedly) by Jesus to spread the gospel everywhere, and they believe that gives them the right to go knocking door-to-door to spread the good news. Religion in America and in Islamic countries is also having a detrimental effect on politics that effects not only every American, but the whole world.

I forgot to mention that we can only abolish religion by using logic and reason like now for example. I agree with you Napolean I say that we can still celebrate these holidays as secular . Remember that Stalin abolished religion to become a god like figure. To me I think that people should say whatever they like , to write whatever they want , to believe in anything within reason.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service