I think that religion didn't cause anything good but only start wars, create gilt , hold science back , repressing women's rights, repress sexual subjects , promotes violence racism sectrianism backwardness discrimination ignorance , violates human rights , opression of homosexuals , bigotry , hatred , extremism , terrorism . But sometimes it helps people cope with their problems. I want to hear your opinions and arguments. Plus excuse my English since it's a second language. 

PS : I meant abolish not by forcing but using logic and reason.

Views: 2468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I assume you selected the word "abolish" to generate interest, however you really need to clearly define your terms for there to be any reasonable, thoughtful response to your question. 

The Oxford Dictionary defines Abolish as "put an end to the existence or practice of (esp. a custom or institution). Some of the methods listed are acceptable - "set aside, dispense with, ... " but most are not - "destroy, annihilate, liquidate, obliterate, stamp out, quash, eradicate, ...)

I think the selection of another term would seem to be desirable.   

Sorry, I did not read all the comments before posting. There has been much thoughtful response and discussion.

So long as people have the right (or even the ability) to be stupid, woo will persist, whether it's in the form of religion, homeopathy, belief in ghosts, or any other form of self-delusion.  To utterly defeat woo would take a level of general societal education which human culture has yet to see, and even that is no guarantee, as that persistent minority of the members of the National Academy of Scientists who are believers will attest to.

We may be able to reduce religion's impact on the individual and society, disempower it from interfering with governments, perhaps even to the point of rendering it utterly irrelevant in any significant fashion ... but removing it entirely may be like reaching zero degrees, Kelvin.  You can come tantalizingly close, but get there?  Impossible ... at least so long as stupidity exists in humankind.

I agree. It is like those who believe in "I want a bigger government, so I can help you even more".  Stay Away, I think you have helped me enough already - Thank You anyway.

Note - I was thinking specifically of His Honor the Mayor of New York - I am going to ban large soft drinks to cure obesity, and I think we can recover from "the worst natural disaster" while  running a large marathon during the same week. Look away people - so they still don't have power, and it is snowing out, TRUST ME we will fix it someday. 

Jim, your quote stirs its converse.

I'm thinking of an essay on "I want a bigger government, so I can help you even more" and "I want a smaller government, so I can help myself even more".

On second thought, I guess the Dems and Repubs have milked that pairing for what it's worth.

I agree, Loren, that religion can and should be eliminated from government.  Also, I like your reference to woo factors and I even wonder why there are scientists at all who profess belief in god and all that implies. 

Ibrahim, religion is bad without any doubt in my mind. My personal belief is that there should be no religion what-so-ever! Our founding fathers understood that religion will be around a long time and also understood the influence believers have in governmental affairs. They felt it was so important that they wrote this into the first amendment of our constitution. Separating religion from government was one of their biggest concerns. Their wisdom then has prevented the formalization of a state-sponsored or state-sanctioned religion, even now.

My personal belief is that religion should be abolished, but it is outweighed by my stronger belief in our founding fathers' wisdom. Unfortunately religion is going to be around a long time. All we can do is work hard to show how ridiculous this magical thinking is and stand strong to prevent it from influencing governmental actions, such as allowing it in our education system, our healthcare system and of course, our own government.

While I agree with you on the wisdom of the Founding Fathers, unfortunately it seems they are no longer much respected in our educational system. It is not politically correct to refer them as a source of wisdom. Having said that, it was very wise to prevent the possibility of a state-sponsored, state-sanctioned religion. Also wise to have three branches of government to balance power.

Religion is a vestigial appendage that global society as a whole has evolved beyond the need for.

It is human societies appendix. And like an appendix, it is better at harming or even killing than it is at anything else.

Religions contribution to the development of the humanity cannot be argued and should not be disregarded, however, as Dr. Neil deGrasse-Tyson so eloquently put it “God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on.”

When we did not yet understand, or had not yet discovered how the world, or our bodies, or our universe or our minds worked "God" was an easy and seemingly valid answer. It calmed, comforted and controlled large groups of people. Which helped us survive as a species and develope into cultures.

The problem of religion is that it necessarily clings to it's divinely revealed truths as facts, even when they are provably not.

Should religion have NEVER existed? No, I don't think so.

Should it STILL exist? No, I don't think it is needed.

It should be allowed to exist, but people should see no need for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Vash, I like your "2 cents". May I re-post with attribution to you? 

Sure :)

thanks

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
3 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
7 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
10 minutes ago
Ceil replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
15 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
17 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
20 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Officially Launches; David Silverman Criticizes History Channel for Presenting Bible as History in the group Atheist News
30 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
31 minutes ago
Susan Stanko replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
34 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Officially Launches; David Silverman Criticizes History Channel for Presenting Bible as History in the group Atheist News
48 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Here are the highlights of Justice Ginsburg’s fiery Hobby Lobby dissent
49 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion ‘There are no wild cows’: Neil deGrasse Tyson slams ‘fear factor’ over GMOs
51 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service