I think that religion didn't cause anything good but only start wars, create gilt , hold science back , repressing women's rights, repress sexual subjects , promotes violence racism sectrianism backwardness discrimination ignorance , violates human rights , opression of homosexuals , bigotry , hatred , extremism , terrorism . But sometimes it helps people cope with their problems. I want to hear your opinions and arguments. Plus excuse my English since it's a second language. 

PS : I meant abolish not by forcing but using logic and reason.

Views: 2305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry. I added my reply today, before I had read all the responses. You do more clearly define what you mean by "abolish" here. I would still recommend chosing a different word, as this one has too many meanings.

I say no on the simple bases that it is healthy for people under a society to have the freedom of thought.

It is inconceivable,irrational and unproductive for anyone to advocate the use of suppression when we as atheist have fought for our freedom to be openly honest about what we find as evident. What is important about a society is that the people under that society co-operate for the survival of that society and without that the society will fall so with that said if we were to abolish religion than what would be the punishment for belief? If any action were to be taken against someone for there thoughts than the society's authority will be suppressing not only the thought of the person being punished but also his freedom to act as he is and thus the authority would be suppressing the people. Is that really progress? To me the consequence would be no different than that of any other religion that has attempted to create a unified belief system.

Well stated

I like your response. 

If by abolish you mean outlawed, that didn't work in Communist countries very well. It's a bit like trying to abolish poor judgment.

I agree with you Ruth. But abolishing it by using logic and reason. 

That's different.

Trying to use logic and reason with someone whose mind has been bound by ancient stories that may or may not have happened, and who believes there is some force planning for us, guiding us, answering prayers is delusional thinking. Is one ever successful in logically and reasonably discussing anything with someone who believes in delusions? I haven't found it so.

Outside the sciences and mathematics, have logic and reason ever defeated emotion?

Emotion can trump science. I'm recalling the guy who about a century ago assembled a dino with the wrong skull and insisted he'd used the correct skull. Ego can be found in lots of places.

Descartes claimed "I think therefore I am."

He didn't feel; he only half was.

Tom - for clarification. You said "Outside the sciences and mathematics, have logic and reason ever defeated emotion?" Are you suggesting it would be a good thing for logic and reason to defeat emotion ?

OH! My goodness! I hope not! We need logic, reason, emotion, working to inform us and give us more information. Any one without the other two loses power. 

Jim, you're answering a question with a question.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service