when a group of people say "let's pray" or even maybe at a family function over the holidays for example, or at a funeral. When a group is silent in prayer do you acted it out?? honestly for myself, it happened over the holidays. And what did I do? I checked Espn on my phone to get the latest college bowl scores! What do you do??

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remain silent, but make no pretence to praying. On the other hand, the overwhelming majority of my family is atheists (I corrupted them all).

this is what i do too.  not much opportunity for me either, due to almost no existing family.

I do not act like I am praying. I keep my eyes open and my head up and I usually glance around the room bored.
I do that too.. An when I look at someone else who isn't praying I think "ahh there a non-believer too" :)

I"ve done that too.

No.

I'm waiting for someone to say it's "disrespectful" to not be silent or to look at your I-phone while people are praying!! What would your response be?

"And, I think it is plain silly to pray to something that isn't there."

I volunteer at a local soup kitchen, working along side many from local religious organizations, and they always have a prayer before we serve.  I just stir the soup.

At family/work functions (why are we having prayer at work?) I just look straight ahead and keep as quiet as possible.

Good Q about why are they having prayer at work.  I think that's a path to discrimination and potential harassment.

Checked ESPN on your phone? While prayer time is usually a silent moment, I don't think that would prevent my wife from throwing a lamp at me if I pulled that stunt. I took a newspaper in with me once while accompanying my wife to mass and still haven't heard the last of it.

I sit/stand quietly with my hands folded, eyes open as a show of respect for the beliefs of those around me. I may not believe as they do but I have no intention of being obnoxious about it. I live with these people and if I want respect for my beliefs I suppose I had better have respect for theirs.

If I knew there would be a prayer at work or some other event I'd try to figure out how to be busy elsewhere.

Ha!  I'm sure my wife would do the same.  I agree in showing respect for the beliefs of loved ones, just as long as they don't give me any grief about not joining in.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service