I most certainly see the idea of faith, faith itself, and religion as a threat to mankind. It always has and always hill hinder social progress, scientific progress, and the development of any type of peace that may be brewing anywhere on this great and hateful earth.

Call me "militant" or not tolerant but I don't believe religion and faith have a place in a world where there is actual peace and progress.

I do not respect religion or religious beliefs...you wouldn't respect a belief that said it was OK to kill people for not believing something, would you?

Tags: faith, militant, religion, threat

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll definitely have to add that to the list of many books to read! ;)

That Machiavellian Golden Rule is bone chilling.
I couldn't agree more Michael. As much as I perceive faith and religion to be a threat, I do believe we must be civil and loving and willing to work with those that do have faith and religion but only want to do good.

There is nothing wrong with these people other than the fact they have been blinded by a simple way of thinking-we must work with them and everyone else if we want change and a positive one at that.
Haha yes that's a clear indicator of ignorance-right off the bat, as they say.
I used to think "moderate" faith was okay, since I'm a cult survivor and regular sunday-school type church was so mild in comparison. But now I think 1) they allow cults to survive unregulated and 2) they brainwash children. So yeah, threat to mankind all the way. I'm pretty damn ignorant of science like a lot of Americans (though trying to make up for it now) and religion was the major reason for that.
I used to work at a Sunday school children's program as a sound technician. I thought I was doing something good for them but I only saw it as me doing good because I was just being a kind human being--not because God impelled me.

Looking back, I see that I should have done everything in my power to keep those innocent children from having their minds deluded to the ridiculousness that is Christianity.

I don't think everyone has to up and get a few science books and know all the theories but rather just not accept any claim about the earth or life without scientific evidence. Of course, it's awesome if you really do want to delve into the real of science, as well!
Well science is actually NEAT, so I'm a bit pissed about missing out on it so far. Plus my 3 yr old has a very inquiring, non-linear mind. He loves taking things apart with his screwdriver, turning over rocks to look at bugs, and dissecting flowers. I'm trying to learn it along with him (or maybe a couple steps ahead)
"It always has and always hill hinder social progress, scientific progress, and the development of any type of peace that may be brewing anywhere on this great and hateful earth."

I agree, even in the Eastern world, many youth are rising up against the religious beliefs that keep society in the Dark Ages.

"I do not respect religion or religious beliefs...you wouldn't respect a belief that said it was OK to kill people for not believing something, would you?"

That's a broad statement, are you against ALL religious beliefs or just those that cause harm to others? Religious tolerance is accepting ALL religions as valid, equal and beneficial to the culture. Those doctrines that are exclusive (one true God) and those that bring harm to others has nothing to do with tolerance...it's just unacceptable to humanity regardless of religion or non-religion.
Yes, I understand it is quite a broad statement. I know there are many religions that are not monotheistic nor as damaging as Islam, Christianity, or Judaism, but my problem lies with the idea of faith; the idea that people don't have to seek out evidence for the truth but rather except what is said to be the "truth" as such because you just have to believe.
Exactly, fidelis - the latin word for 'to follow' or 'faithfulness'...too many follow blindly out of fear or better yet, because it's popular...
Those were awesome examples that put the 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy into perspective.
I think Christianity puts an excess focus on the shortcomings of mankind. We're all evil, miserable sinners deserving of hell. Anything good in this world, god gets credit for. Anything bad, humans get blamed.
How to combat religion in my view:
1) enact laws protecting children from physical, medical, and educational neglect (prayer v. medicine, homeschooling by the uneducated, false creation "science")
2) someone help me here - keeping anyone else from living my childhood is my first goal and I really haven't thought yet to step 2...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service