Do you listen to songs containing religious content

So I was listening to Marc Broussards "Lonely Night ib Georgia" last night and towards the end of he repeats the word "Lord" about 6 times. In his song "Home" he adds a rendition of a traditional gospel tune called "Wade in the Water".

Now I personally love some gospel tunes when you remove their meaning. These songs by Broussard arent gospel tunes nor intended to be as such. There are many other songs just like them. I hate that it has such phrasing, but I am not sure it is enough for me not to listen if its a great song.

Does that stop anyone else from listening to certain songs?

Tags: music, songs

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the music sounds good, then I don't really care what they are singing about. Three of my favourite artists : Captain Beefheart, Can & The Fall sing pretty nonsensical lyrics, but it doesn't stop me listening to them and enjoying the sounds they make. What I can't listen to is overtly Christian music. I find some gospel music such as wade in the water, just a closer walk with thee or ave maria uplifting, but that doesn't make me want to begin believing in a deity!
Bongo Fury!
I'm a massive Bob Dylan fan, but I simply can't listen to his late 70's early 80's gospel stuff. Real fire and brimstone and quotes straight out of the bible. I guess all great artists gotta follow their muse, but that takes the biscuit!
E Nomine. One of my favorite bands. Tons of Christian religious reference. I think one of their albums is nothing but verses from the Bible. I figure it's like this, I would listen to music about the Lord of the Rings universe just the same as I listen to music about Christianity. The only downside is that a sweet band, a band I like, is helping to legitimize actual belief in this dismal make-believe world.
I loved "Amazing Grace" up until I found out it was written by a slave-trader. I could get behind the first and third stanza, just redefining "grace".

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service