There are a couple of bands that I really enjoy that are semi-religious. Matisyahu the Hasidic Jewish reggae rocker who constantly, almost exclusively, sings of god and such. Then there is SOJA which stands for Soldiers of Jah's Army, although the lead singer says the name has more to do with roots than religion.

Sublime mentions god quite often, and an early demo was called "Jah Won't Pay the Bills" which could be humorously interpreted in an atheistic way.

Refreshingly, Rebelution sings about keeping intelligent design out of our schools (at least that is how I interpret it; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO08u0XzD_0 ). Ironically there is also a Christian movement called Rebelution.

Do you listen to bands that sing about god or avoid it like the plague?

Tags: music

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i avoid the lyrics(if it's seem religious), but used to listen cool kinda music
i
Man, you CANT BEAT the lyrical awesomesauce that is this line "What woiuld people think when they hear that im a jesus freak"

JK JK. I grew up being able to ONLY listen to that sort of music, when it was found that I listened to anything else, I was punnished. I can't remember how many times I had to buy my favorite smashing pumpkins album over. I think I saw my mother break more copies of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness then i can count. Im sure I contributed more then my fair share to the rock artists of the 90's. I hid most of the music I listened to at school in my locker. I guess that makes me bitter to the whole christian music scene. I did enjoy some of the musical content, I rather despised the lyrical side of it though.
I went through the same thing. I had to rebuy Nine Inch Nail's Downward Spiral album at least 3 times thanks to the song Heresy (which I still love to this day). Also had to rebuy Silverchair's Frogstomp because of the song Suicidal Dreams (another song I still like to this day, and my mom must have thought I would have killed myself by now because of it lol).
I listen to a lot of country and folk music, much of which has religious themes to it.
Some of it bugs me, some of it I ignore.
Some just goes well with the song.
It's all about what sounds good. Matisyahu, "Fear nobody but his majesty" is a great song. It may also bring up another opportunity to discuss religion with the kiddo if he notices it.
I will listen to Johnny Cash sing about Jesus, but not much of anyone else.
When asked shortly before his death if he was a Christian musician, he said, "No, I'm a musician who happens to be Christian."
Of course, I would listen to Johnny sing the federal budget, if it came to that.
Mercy Seat is an amazing piece of music indeed.
A lot of reggae music is religiously inspired and I love reggae. I also like some of the black gospel music (I just ignore the words) A gospel group called The Brothers and Sister did an album of Bob Dylan's music a number of years back - it was great.
They standard churchy music, however, is aggressively boring crap.
I like classical music. Basically, anything Bach ever wrote was religious.
I don't think most classical counts because it was inspired by religion, it doesnt have someone singing praise jesus the whole time.
The Air on a G-String isn't particularly religious. The Mass in B-minor can't be construed in any other way THAN religious ... and both are wonderful representatives of the handiwork of Johann Sebastian.

Frankly, in his case, I Don't Care what the words say ... because the words are drowned out in What The Music Says.

Try that one on for size, bright eyes!
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love classical music, I was just stating that I think it doesnt count because it doesnt actually preach a message at you sometimes. The times when it does have words they are typically in another language or drown out by the awesomeness of the music.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
9 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
14 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
19 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
34 minutes ago
Luara replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to satyam dangi's discussion Do we need to change the entire spectrum of human civilization ?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Homosexuals are possessed by fart demons. in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ted Foureagles replied to Kalista Whitney's discussion Was there a particular event in your life that contributed to you becoming atheist?
1 hour ago
The Devian replied to Brian Edward Croner's discussion Intelligent But Makes an Exception for Religion in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
A. D'Agio posted a photo
2 hours ago
anneshathaways posted blog posts
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service