Hello everyone. I’m an atheist interested in counter-apologetics. Are there any Jews or Christians (or ex-Jews or ex-Christians) visiting here who have come across any Biblical contradictions or inconsistencies for which you have not found a satisfying answer to? If so, could you please post them here for discussion?

Views: 967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think he zapped it out of season to boot

Wasn't that a fig tree?  And yeah, it WAS out of season.

Not so much of a biblical contradiction, but I have a serious beef with a common argument for god that is nothing more than a slight of hand intended to misdirect the conversation - the idiotic "free will" defense. Religionists will resort to this in any number of arguments, treating it like a trump card: "God gave us free will to make our own decisions. He could have made us like robots, or angels, with no free will to do as we please."

Notice the two things that 'he could have made us like'? Robots are assembled by advanced humans with mechanical parts made by humans from materials harvested and synthesized by humans, and angels are exactly as believable as the FSM. In other words, the opposite of free will does not realistically exist in any organic life form known to exist in reality. To accept this argument is no better than believing that events in the bible must be true because the bible says they are true. I've seen dogs that love to skateboard, and squirrels that appear to like to waterski, and there is evidence to show that even amoebas can choose when to exhibit certain behaviors under given circumstances. The free will argument is a farce. Saying that god could have chosen not to give us free will is like saying god could have chosen not to make water wet.
I use to be Christian but then I started questioning everything I always have questioned things n then when I started thinking about Christian believes it jus doesn't make any sense if there was an all midy god why would he make some one with disability s to were they can't do anything its its very sad to me. Why would he creat something thats so helpless
Because he is all-knowing and therefore knew in advance that we were going to legalize same sex marriage? His retribution works in mysterious ways.

Geneology of Jesus

According   to Matthew

According   to Luke

Abraham

Abraham

Isaac

Isaac

Jacob

Jacob

Judas

Juda

Phares

Phares

Esrom

Esrom

Aram

Aram

Aminadab

Aminadab

Naason

Naason

Salmon

Salmon

Booz

Booz

Obed

Obed

Jesse

Jesse

David the King

David

Solomon

Nathan

Roboam

Mattatha

Abia

Menan

Asa

Melea

Josaphat

Eliakim

Joram

Jonan

Ozias

Joseph

Joatham

Juda

Achaz

Simeon

Ezekias

Levi

Manasses

Matthat

Amon

Jorim

Josias

Eliezer

Jechonias (slavery in Babylon)

Jose

Salathiel

Er

Zorababel

Elmodam

Abiud

Cosam

Eliakim

Addi

Azor

Melchi

Sadoc

Neri

Achim

Salathiel

Eliud

Zorobabel

Eleazar

Rhesa

Matthan

Joanna

Jacob

Juda

Joseph, the husband of Mary

Joseph

Jesus

Semei

Mattathias

Maath

Nagge

Esli

Naum

Amos

Mattathias

Joseph

Janna

Melchi

Levi

Matthat

Heli

Joseph

Jesus (supposed son of)

But, Joseph was not Jesus’ father, so   who cares?

But, Joseph was not Jesus’ father, so   who cares?

41, including Jesus and Abraham

56, including Jesus and Abraham

Matthew 1:17 says:  So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations,  and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations. 

Abraham to David is 14 – if you count both Abraham and David

David to Jechonias is 14 – if you do NOT count David, but count Jechonias

Jechonias to Jesus is 14 – if you count both Jechonias and Jesus

Where the Bible Contradicts Itself!!

CREATION:  Genesis 3:7 – Adam and Eve had their eyes opened, and saw that they were naked, and sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons, but Genesis  3:21 says that the Lord God made coats of skins, and clothed them.

COMMANDMENTS:  Exodus 20: 2-17 is “the ten commandments” (a term, by the way, not used in the Bible).  Exodus 34:1, God tells Moses “Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write up these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou breakest,” and yet Exodus 34:14-26 has DIFFERENT NINE commandments.  God lied, or made a mistake, or forgot?

BIRTH:  Matthew 1:2-16 lists the 40 individuals in the lineage between Abraham and Jesus (why?  Since Joseph is not Jesus’ father?)  but Luke 3:23-34 lists the lineage of 56 ancestors of Joseph to Abraham, all different names.

RESURRECTION:  Matthew 28 says that Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to the sepulcher, and an angel descended and rolled back the stone, and he told them to go quickly and tell the disciples that he is risen, and as they went to tell them Jesus appeared to them.  Mark 16 says that Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Salome went to the sepulcher, that when they got there the stone was already rolled away, and they saw a young man sitting inside the sepulcher, who told them to go tell his disciples , but they didn’t say anything to anybody out of fear, but later he appeared to Mary Magdalene.  Then Luke 24 says that Mary Magdalene and Joanna and Mary the Mother of James and other women went to the sepulcher, and found the stone rolled away, and soon two men stood by them in shining garments, and they returned and told the eleven and to all the rest.  John 20 adds to the contradictions by saying that Mary Magdalene went to the sepulcher, sees the stone rolled away, runs away and ran into Simon Peter and the other disciple and told them that the body is gone, and they don’t know to where.  When Mary went back, she saw two men in white in the sepulcher, and then turned around and saw Jesus standing there (although she didn’t recognize him, but then went and told the disciples that she had seen and spoken to the Lord.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service