If your heroes are celebrities or historical figures, also include whether you personally know (as a friend or just a bystander) anyone you consider a hero.

I realized recently that, while there are people I look up to for any number of reasons, there is not a single person I know who I want to actually model myself after.  I know not one person who lives according to the values I believe are important.  I would not call anyone my "hero."  (If this is your definition of "role model," then feel free to use that term as well.  I'm not sure if everyone thinks of role models as people they would actually model themselves after or just as people with some admirable characteristics.)

I can speculate as to why it is that I don't have any real life heroes, but I don't honestly know.  I wonder how common it is.  Is it universally true?  Is it that every person has a unique ideal image?

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David Attenborough. He says like it is, man. Know what I mean ?
My paternal grandfather. The best man I personally know of. An outstanding human being. DaVinci, Jefferson, Franklin.

In my response, I use the words "heroes" and "role models" synonymously.  They are two different but similar things, but you can replace "hero" with "role model," and I would still feel the same way.

It's refreshing to find someone else that doesn't have heroes, because it seems everybody does these days.  I don't either, and I think I'm happier without them.  It's not an ego thing; I just tend to think that looking up to somebody else would make me overlook my own qualities and (perhaps most importantly) flaws.  Maybe it's my upbringing, but I've never looked up to anybody.

In fact, quite frankly, having heroes is kind of a turn-off.  I can't help but think to myself, "is your life so empty?"  To me, it's a sign of too much soul-searching perhaps, and not enough acceptance of yourself, warts and all.  Too much of the "power of positive thinking" and not enough realism.  It also strikes me as kind of ... well ... I don't know ... rude?  To focus all that attention (and money) on one person and ignore all those other great thinkers and doers and achievers and *ahem* the girl/boy next door?

I wouldn't say that I have an ideal image, either.  I'm more interested to see how I evolve naturally over my short existence on Earth.  It's the journey that matters to me, not the destination.

He's not my hero, but this quote has stuck with me for many years.  Say what you will about him (some of my harder-core-than-thou friends will call him a poseur), but he's stuck to his guns.

"I don't have any heroes.  They're all useless." - Johnny Rotten

That they are, John.

I feel Role models or supernatural heros are derived from a religious mindset. Because religion tell you to belive unseen stuff. Take islam for an example, it is considered a duity of a good muslim to consider muhammad as his/her role model. Similarly God is a super hero, he does what ever he want to do. So why dont you try being god?:P

So idealizing people, and associating heroic stuff to them becomes a trait commen to every single individual who beleives.

Now if you dont believe, then still i think  no one else can be your role model. Every one has totally different and individual personality traits, environment and social structure. I feel its fine to admire people you feel good, but modeling yourself after some one you admire might not be a good idea.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service