Do You Get Enraged When Someone Does Not Take Off Their Hat Poll

(hopefully a harmless distraction from the more serious stuff – so if you are always serious don’t read any further)

I had a student who wore a baseball cap to all my classes.  At first I had an emotional response – who does this guy think he is wearing a baseball cap in my class.  Then I got used to it and realized – it does not matter if he wears a cap or not.  As long as he does the work and acts civilly in class - who cares?

Next thing you know I was a convert.  So much so that I wore a hat and got tossed out of a dinner party.  My experience is that most people ignore you when you do not remove your hat at a hockey game when the national anthem is being played.  But, a few get downright venomous.

Is there some evolutionary advantage of requiring a hat to be removed at certain times or in some venues?

After visiting Hair Club for Men a few years ago and realizing it was way too expensive to buy a new wig every few months and getting locked into an expensive styling plan even more frequently, I decided to go with the immensely cheaper option of wearing stylish hats for my bald spot.

Nobody expects someone to remove their wig when the national anthem is being played – so why should they have to remove their hat which is being used for the same purpose.  Removal of a hat for the anthem can be done by the most morally depraved person who has no respect at all for his countries laws.  What is wrong with me substituting hat removal with my hand over my heart instead?

What is wrong with me wearing my hat at dinner?

I suspect the majority of people get enraged with people not removing their hat. I am curious as to what a group of freethinkers will say.

Views: 2107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't do crass nationalism or empty gestures for the military.  I'm not even sure why the national anthem is still played at sporting events as though we'll all turn into a bunch of treasonous communists if we don't constantly reassert our loyalty with all the pomp and ceremony.  At least Americans don't have to pledge allegiance to an inbred head of state from the UK.

I wore a LA Lakers cap for most of my early twenties, in school or not, and I wore it backwards and forwards, and I rarely took it off in public, to protest against blind conformity.  I really infuriated a lot of people but I think I'm in the right.  If veterans can't trust that I support them in spirit and that I've written letters to the Minister of Defence asking for more financial support for our military, I don't want to have anything to do with national rituals.  I'm loyal to principles and values that I think are necessary for a healthy society.  I'm not blindly obedient to a flag, an anthem or national hockey team (Canadians have an inferiority complex when it comes to hockey, because we live in the shadow of the US and there has to be something we do better than Americans and Russians, so we pick hockey and obsess over winning every tournament and gold medal.)  I don't cheer for Canada if it means that I have to exercise blind obedience to a flag instead of the principles that flag should stand for.  One of those principles, like it or not, is that I might not take off my hat while the national anthem is being played at a sporting event, and that I have the freedom (and right) to do so and not be harassed.

Zombie jesus, the only thing I hate almost as much as religion is a bunch of cultural rules that are based on a bunch of bullshit.  F the native culture.

"cultural rules that are based on a bunch of bullshit."

Okay, I'll bite; first, …is there a way to discern this objectively? Second, do you adhere to any cultural rules?

"F the native culture."

Careful where you travel...

I try to adhere to the golden rule.  I am 100% open to discussion on this, but it is my opinion that cultural rules surrounding when to remove a hat are silly.

I have traveled many places.  So far, I have avoided locations where not abiding by ridiculous rules can get you in trouble.

"I am 100% open to discussion on this, but it is my opinion that cultural rules surrounding when to remove a hat are silly."

I agree with this with the following disclaimer, "almost all cultural rules…"

I will never be able to wrap my mind around why some places require a man to wear a tie, I don't "get" ties at all for that matter. To be specific, while I do understand that a tie denotes a certain mode of formal dress code in order to enforce a implied class exclusivity, …I just don't "get" ties.

The hat thing, I understand in cases of it being purely a respect for secular solemnity that go beyond any theistic origin of the custom. So many origins of basic etiquette have outlived their usefulness centuries ago...

I still shake hands with others, even though I'm not checking for weapons, or touch glasses in a toast, even though I don't suspect poisoning, or hold a fork in the prescribed "polite" way, even though I have no intent to use it as a weapon, …the silly customs are many. 

Had a stranger at my father's or my mother's memorial services decided to not take off his hat, I would have asked them to leave, and I'm an atheist, who wears a head covering (bandana - long hair, it keeps it out of my face) everywhere except in bed.

You make good points.  I do shake hands and touch glasses in a toast, and I have excellent table manners, but I kind of enjoy all those things.  I do not enjoy taking off a hat if I happen to have one on.

This discussion has really gotten interesting.

I certainly don't enjoy taking off my bandana, with long hair, "hat-head" looks particularly bad. I still take it off where respect is an issue. 

But, you couldn't pay me to wear a tie, …unless I wanted to wear one …which happens on the rare occasion when I felt like wearing a black bow tie  tux w/tails n' top hat (in my gigging days). As well, I've been known to put an elbow on the table …but then again, I'm not doing it to guard my plate from other diners usurping my food.

Someone mentioned Canada (where the OP is from), if you don't like taking off your hat, don't take a tour of Parliament in Ottawa, …you will be forcibly removed if you don't (don't ask me how I know this).

Ties are just residual napkins (although they can still be used for that) I haven't owned a tie for at least 20 years I hate the damn things. 

Correction I do have a fish tie but I only wear it to piss off the uptight formalist.

Here are two hat gems I just came across that I think have fallen by the wayside.  Any guys or girls feel strongly that these customs should still be observed?

For the girls:

“You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.”

For the guys:

“CAUTION
In general great care should be taken in removing your hat or tipping your hat to another man except in special circumstances discussed above. It will be taken as an insult.”

Context?

I asked about context because:

In different country's cultures, some things considered passé are in fact against the law, or may connote non-verbal meanings where the consequences may result in getting one's nose broken.

Richard, I think that's enough? Threats of physical violence, thinly veiled or not, are unacceptable (at least in Canada). Same for military thuggery in any disguise, including by proxy - barely restrained animosity might be a sign that greatness by association doesn't actually work?

Obviously you're very capable of starting a flame war from this comment but I won't be playing that game either.

Sorry to everyone for the off topic post (and Russell please remove this if you think it's out of place or otherwise). I strongly agree that bullying - veiled or not - is unacceptable.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service