Do You Get Enraged When Someone Does Not Take Off Their Hat Poll

(hopefully a harmless distraction from the more serious stuff – so if you are always serious don’t read any further)

I had a student who wore a baseball cap to all my classes.  At first I had an emotional response – who does this guy think he is wearing a baseball cap in my class.  Then I got used to it and realized – it does not matter if he wears a cap or not.  As long as he does the work and acts civilly in class - who cares?

Next thing you know I was a convert.  So much so that I wore a hat and got tossed out of a dinner party.  My experience is that most people ignore you when you do not remove your hat at a hockey game when the national anthem is being played.  But, a few get downright venomous.

Is there some evolutionary advantage of requiring a hat to be removed at certain times or in some venues?

After visiting Hair Club for Men a few years ago and realizing it was way too expensive to buy a new wig every few months and getting locked into an expensive styling plan even more frequently, I decided to go with the immensely cheaper option of wearing stylish hats for my bald spot.

Nobody expects someone to remove their wig when the national anthem is being played – so why should they have to remove their hat which is being used for the same purpose.  Removal of a hat for the anthem can be done by the most morally depraved person who has no respect at all for his countries laws.  What is wrong with me substituting hat removal with my hand over my heart instead?

What is wrong with me wearing my hat at dinner?

I suspect the majority of people get enraged with people not removing their hat. I am curious as to what a group of freethinkers will say.

Views: 1889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Regina, you have a charming and comic manner of expression! I love it.  Hey hat!

Is the sort of hat that is selected by the wearer self-expressive, in the same way as the slogan on a T-Shirt is?

I mentioned my hat discussion to four guys at wing night last night.  A few of us who had kids in hockey, soccer etc get together every month or so.  These guys all came down hard on removing your hat.  But, then I said you all probably don't believe climate change is real either - to which they all said "of course there is no man made climate change" - a loud (but friendly) debate ensued.  I didn't feel so bad about the hat thing when I found out about the other thing.  I made good arguments for both issues, but it is hard to persuade a crowd - I'll have to pick them off one at a time.

Not a single fuck is given. That's my take, anyway.

"I've seen children being disciplined for the wrong colour belt, the wrong colour tennis shoes."

"Teachers used to be able to manage their students and police were there just as a backup, but now what I'm seeing is that security and police are intervening all the time."

Misbehaving pupils ending up in court

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17664075

Nope! i also teach, but i really don't care.

Hat wearing is fairly common at my college. It's a bit chilly here and i'd rather my students be comfy and warm. I myself wear a knit cap frequently indoors to keep warm.

I do not get enraged when someone does not take off their hat but I do get slightly irked if someone wears black socks with white shoes. 

The origin of the hat business is very interesting and it got me thinking.  I was put off (not enraged) by a high school senior picture that was very sexy, it seemed out of place in a yearbook. Looked a bit like one of those boudoir shots.  Am I being an establishment prude?

I don't get enraged, but I don't like it...In class I may be okay with it, but at dinner certainly not. To me just seems rude and disrespectful. Not sure why..Probably just age old tradition. I am not that old, only 40..but, that is how I feel. If my daughter's new boyfriend comes to dinner with us and wears a hat during the meal, he is not a keeper. Even worse if he has some sorta rag on his head or something..He's through. Some occassions still warrant respectful behaviour. Are you okay with people wearing their pants down so far you can see underwear and a$$crack while you are eating? I'm not. I don't care if they think they are "expressing themselves"..what they are expressing is a lack of care of courtesy for anyone around them. Bad thing is, they don't even kn ow what they are "expressing"..just doing what others do..followers.

I take my hat off indoors everywhere. I don't even wear a baseball cap in a sportsbar. It comes off till after I eat and am walking out the door.

"Are you okay with people wearing their pants down so far you can see underwear and a$$crack while you are eating?"

Hell yes! :D

Again (yet again) policing of wardrobe, self-expression and choice is a theist leftover imo. Ditto re sex-negative, body-negative standards, sure.

People (like A. Noni Moose) should come with a set of their favorite taboos tattooed on the foreheads so that I can tell before  I commit the egregious sin of violating his unerring sense of decorum.  

Ya'll don't like religion except when it comes to all the ass-kissing and subservient slave culture rules.  

I wouldn't bother with your daughter after having just a single 5 minute encounter with you.

No disrespect, but she would have half your genes and that seems a half too much in my view.

"Respect my Authority"

I think it's b.s. In fact I'm tempted to get a pimp hat and stroll into a Cracker Barrel restaurant while wearing it.

To me, taking your hat off when indoors or during the national anthem is one of those silly customs like saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone sneezes.  And like saying "bless you" when someone sneezes, I'm sure taking your hat off as a sign of respect is somehow tied to religion.  I know that up until the late 1800s/early 1900s, women were generally supposed to keep their heads covered when out in public and especially in church.  Men, on the other hand, were supposed to take their hats off in church.

Here's a clip of George Carlin talking about hats and religion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0MripVxss

The part about hats starts at 4:55, but the whole video is worth watching.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service