Ok, this may seem like a ridiculous question, but I'm curious if anyone else ever does this.

First, let me state that I have never believed in the supernatural, aside from a short time around 9 years old when I saw a movie about Nostradamus that freaked me out so much I don't think I slept for a month

What I'm curious about is this: Sometimes when I am in great pain (suffering from gastro-esophageal reflux mostly) I have thought something along the lines of "If anyone is out there listening, please make my pain go away."

Of course, it's never helped, but I wonder why I even go there. I suspect it is because of growing up around people who pray for help. I know that even if my pain immediately went away I would know that it was not the work of god, so it confuses me why I would do this.

Do any of you occasionally have thoughts like this?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like your explanation. I still cry out for my mom even though she's been gone for 17 years.
I dont see anything wrong with it. Its simply your brain trying to reach out. I think it can have positive effects too since its a mental process (either innate or learned) that helps people project outside of themselves to gather strength and focus. I think its different if you believe in God and are doing it in comparison between being an atheist doing it since the latter is keeping things grounded. Self-suggestion can be a bolstering thing as long as people keep it level headed.
When my children are hurt or sick, I sometimes do. I know it won't work, but when it comes to my kids, I would move mountains if I thought it might help. I prayed at my dad's funeral I think just out of habit from years of praying in church. Generally, when my kids are not sick, I do not pray and find it rather silly. I have often found getting off my knees and actually doing something works far better than prayer. So if I do happen to pray for my children when they are sick, it is usually on the way to the dr's office or ER.
What I'm curious about is this: Sometimes when I am in great pain (suffering from gastro-esophageal reflux mostly) I have thought something along the lines of "If anyone is out there listening, please make my pain go away."

No. I don't pray. Tho I can recall having uttered a line similar to it but with a twist. "If anyone is out there, fuck you!" That helps and makes me feel better. :)
Praying is religious people's way of feeling like they are doing something to solve a problem without actually doing something to solve it.  It's mental masturbation really.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Deidre posted a status
"Almost Friday.........cannot wait! Happy Halloween-eve :) Tonight is 'devil's night' I believe?"
4 minutes ago
Pat replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
13 minutes ago
Pat commented on Joan Denoo's blog post My Grandfather, Alphonse Fulgentino Jules Denoo
18 minutes ago
Profile IconFormer Pastor, kavitha, Jim Reynolds and 6 more joined Atheist Nexus
19 minutes ago
booklover replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
30 minutes ago
booklover commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
32 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Susan Stanko replied to C.L.A.W.S.'s discussion Stem Cell Research & MS in the group Atheists who love Science!
1 hour ago
Randall Smith replied to Lmnopicue's discussion dahl pasta in the group Food!
1 hour ago
Randall Smith posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Dyslexic's DOG replied to Deidre's discussion Finding self respect after religion
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service