Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 2139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since Jesus and God are one entity, and Jesus willingly let himself be crucified, I would be willing to bet that they are burning in hell for commuting the sin of suicide.
Actually - haven't seen it. Started to question when my brother-in-law (an anthropolist of note BTW) brought up not only the lack of credible historical reference, anthropological evidence but also the contradictions such as the wildly unorthodox (and, in his mind, highly unlikely) tax census mehtod described for JC's birth. Also, while contemporary historians fail to mention him, the gospels are hearsay, well after the fact, based (at best) on oral narratives.
C. No historical evidence.
Probably, even though we know very little - executed around 30CE. As there appears to be no contemporaneous reports of his activities - they were not significant enough to be reported -, it suggests that he may one of the many devout Jewish apocalypicists, predicting the overthrow of the Hellenistic culture and Roman occupation by the coming "kingdom of God". His untimely and sudden execution must have been a great disappointment to his band of followers to say the least.

Paul created something completely different to the life of Jesus - a religion based on his death. And why not, Paul never met Jesus. He replaced the devout Torah-adherence of Jesus with a Gentile/pagan based faith in his resurrection, just like the other Greek/Roman mystery religions of the time. Plus no circumcision for male converts must have had an appeal! Paul should be the envy of all politicians!

I say to my progressive Christian friends that, if you want to imagine Jesus, think of a conservative orthodox Jewish rabbi more that some liberal-minded "Spong"-type minister.

Alex
Alex's Heresies - Embracing a Physical Reality
Yes, he is exist and he is burn in the hell for selfmurder eternally! bugogo!
Mostly C, a little of A. The Aramaic name Yeshua was very common then, and there most certainly many Rabbis with that name. Whether there was one who claimed to be a/the Meshiach (Messiah) is unclear. I think the most likely scenario is that Saul/Paul heard or read about some obscure Rabbi who was more than a little crazy, who had made some crazy claims, and Paul being familiar with the Tanakh, invented Jesus using parts of the life of some rabbi to fulfill the messianic prophecies mentioned in the Tanakh. He started Christianity as a new, more appealing flavour of the Judaism he was familiar with. To get rich probably. Isn't that always the reason?

The main reasons I don't think our current version of Jesus existed at all are 1) we know the Josephus accounts about Jesus to be fake 2) The Roman historians/scholars never mention him. 3) There are no 1st person accounts of anything Jesus is supposed to have done. Most aren't even 2nd person.
The name Jesus comes down as a tranliteration of Yoshev, but all other Yeshuas mentioned come down through transliteration as Joshua. WTF is that about?
C. But how the myth got started remains a mystery! ;)
answer :c
I belived that he was made up,
C. Don't believe he existed - as there is no contemporary account of him. All the writings about him were by people who actually never met him, and all well after he was supposed to have died.

-Exodia
Im B.
I believe he existed and the claims are greatly exaggerated. I've read that there were several "Messiahs" and since the Bible was originally an oral documentation of history that was written at least 2 generations after the original showing of Jesus, Jesus' actions were enhanced and colored for story affect. Much in the way hollywood makes its own versionof history.
Also, I think Jesus and/or the messiahs were the superstars of their time. Like Elvis, Prince or Michael Jackson, therefore, many of their actions were rumored and taken for truth with little or no proof.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service