Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 2136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

C, in the sense that the Biblical Jesus did not exist. The fictional character is a collection of different archetypes stitched together to make the Jesus of the Bible and the name itself was as common as James is today. Self-proclaimed messiahs were also a dime a dozen back in those days. And yes, there is no contemporary historical or archaeological evidence that said person ever existed.
I'm in substantial agreement with Fabio. I will of course concede that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. However, the Jesus of the four canonical gospels strikes me as a complete fabrication, as is the 'divine' Christ of Christian doctrine. As for the various extra-canonical gospel accounts, all are as discrepant, contradictory and improbable as the canonical ones. Indeed, most, if not all of these latter are of late authorship and highly fanciful. None of the gospel accounts makes consistent sense in the early 1st century historical context. The Jesus depicted in the gospels is probably an ahistorical conflation of any number of distinct apocalyptic (end times) prophets, preachers, or messianic figures who lived between 150 BCE and 100 CE. Fabulous elements common to many legendary and mythical heroes of antiquity are also woven into the character. The only particularly 'religious' message of Jesus is best understood as that of an ordinary man who, like many before and after him, believed and preached that the end of the world was imminent, wherefore nothing else in human life mattered anymore. I recommend Robert M. Price's book, The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man as a primer on all facets of so-called 'historical Jesus' scholarship.
If you're wondering why anyone would want to invent such a character and story, and why so many otherwise intelligent people would believe it, just ask yourself why Joseph Smith would want to invent so fabulous a construction as Mormonism, and why anyone rational would believe that nonsense.
Can I add an E option: Agnostic about his existence, as insufficient historical evidence exists to establish it either way. However, miraculous claims are false
I believe a man named Jesus may have existed, but there were probably a dozen other men with the same name. I don't believe he performed any miracles at all. It's possible that he may have been a healer and perhaps used herbs and potions to heal common ailments like rickets, arthritis, etc., but these minor cures have been orally translated over thousands of years to make him the son of God and then the way to God. The rest of the story is a big, urban legend that just got out of hand!
I heard an atheist friend once tell a xtian friend that wether jesus existed or not was irrelevant to him. The xtian really got pissed after several rounds of irrelevant, irrelevant, irrelevant, and the complete refusal to argue with the guy. I thought it was brilliant; the xtian just couldn't cope with the idea of his god(s) being irrelevant.

I'm personally in the C camp.
I can believe a slice of pie...everything else is irrelevant when you have a slice of pie for breakfast.
"A" - I believe a dude called Jesus. He was just a dude. No powers. Nothing truly noteworthy. Maybe he was a nice guy. Maybe even did some nice things. But no...not the son of a mythical man in the sky.
What are u mean by 'nice gay'? Hi is selfmurder and he was led some realy nice judes into sin - murder 0_o
I was particularly appalled when my so-called rationalist friends started posting clips from Zeitgeist: The Greatest Story Ever Told on their Myspaces and so-forth.

Thank you. The Zeitgeist film seems to be the basis for most of the dogmatic assertions being made that there is no historical basis whatsoever for the Jesus character.
Thank you both. It had to be said.
Considering the miracles and God appearances in the old and new testament...it brings up a question:

Why have there been no miracles or God/Jesus sightings since? Hey ! Its been 2000 years...come on...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service