Atheist Nexus Logo
Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 4016

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there is sufficient historical evidence to suggest that a man named Jesus existed, was crucified and had followers who tried desperately to prove that he was the Messiah, based on Old testament prophecy (which explains many of the contradictions in the New Testament).  However, born of a virgin, the son of god? Of course not.  If his actions have not been too boldly exaggerated by his followers, who knows his motives? There were no shortage of prophets in the middle east in those days. By the way: what do you think?

A: Though I'm sure that his real name was likely not Jesus.

It certainly was never Christ, as that is only what followers decided to call him.

The only claims that possibly had some credibility was that he had followers, upset the establishment with his narcissism and got himself executed, most likely by being stoned while tied to a stick.

As the word in the Bible for the cross is actually stick.

His body may have been stolen by believers or he was thrown into a mass grave and they couldn't access it.

Thus the concoction of the resurrection story.

:-D~

Though I like this take on the story of Jesus by Darkmatter2525:

Of course Jesus existed, that was a quite common name back then; plenty of Jesus' existed!.  I'd ask you if you mean, "was he the son of god?" but to do so might make my head explode.  Didn't Josephus mention him as well?

Josephus only wrote what he heard from Christians, so Christians had already known him as Jesus.

Josephus never met Jesus, he is only writing from Legend, not from knowledge.

We actually don't know what Josephus' sources are. Though considering that he lived a significant portion of his life in Jerusalem and had access to the Temple priesthood and other higher-ups, it's entirely possible that Jesus was known to them just as many of the other apocalyptic preachers would have been.

Also LOL at Josephus never meeting Jesus. So what? The vast majority of writers and historians haven't met the people they're talking about; that's even true to this day.

Seeing as how Joe was born right when dip-shit got his due, I'd have to agree.  However, by analogy, I was born right after WWII how much do I know about it?  

Remember, Josephus lived in between Jesus and Christianity.  Apparently, it was a big deal around those parts. Y'kno, the miracles and all.

Seeing as how Joe was born right when dip-shit got his due, I'd have to agree.  However, by analogy, I was born right after WWII how much do I know about it? 

You have great access to the people who lived it though, and that makes all the difference. Ditto for Josephus.

So, you're born after WWII, you start writing at least at 20, gathering information about a war that happened 20 years ago, information from the people who lived in the times of WWII. But that information is subjective, everybody will tell in his/her own way how they've seen the war.

What if one guy tells you to write what he has seen in WWII that Germany exists and Germany started the war, and Hitler was a dictator, and the war happened about 1940, which everything is true, then the guy says that... a German killed his buddy, his name was Tom, a very good man, a British courageous solider, and John lost a lot of blood and he didn't seem to breathe and was put in an ambulance, and the ambulance was found three days later empty and John nowhere to be found, but thus believed that John actually came to life. It is true because Arthur a very serious man who lived in London, Henry a son of  a priest who lived in Manchester, Louis who had a mother having faith in God and who lived in Leeds, and Stanley who was called the Honest and who lived in Scotland were the witnesses. Moreover, those guys lived when Churchill was PM, every history book in England mentions his name. Many people considered Arthur, Henry, Louis, and Stanley lunatics, and idiots, they were even kicked in the ass, one of them , Arthur, I heard that he was killed and I am sure he was killed because he believed that John got back to life, and Arthur has a great faith that John lived, and that gave Arthur a purpose in life..." , and the guy continues to tell you that he also will get alive, somehow, after death... well, the guy cannot explain how, but isn't it nice to believe that there is life after death?

What? Nobody came with a story like the one above? Of course not! We have a lot of methods to verify if your history from that guy is true, unlike 2,000 years ago when only the religious leaders had the monopoly of witting whatever they wanted to make the masses stupid. You still believe what those religious writers wrote so you can live an eternal life, stupid.

There is strong evidence that the part of Josephus referring to Jesus was a later addition, by a Christian forger.

BTW if Jesus didn't exist, who was in the Talpiot Tomb?

A guy named Talpiot?

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service