Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 2125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but if none of the events happened, and he was bases on many other character, even if a man named jesus, existed, he wouldn't be the biblical jesus. if there was a man alive before the books were wrote, named Sherlock Holmes, you wouldn't say he was the man from the book. i don't believe a biblical jesus existed, i believe various beliefs, and myths led to the idea of a man, that was the son of god, and at some arbitrarily chosen date they gave him a name...
F.

I think that's on page 666 of the hymnal.
C.

Belief doesn't enter into the equation. Either there is irrefutable evidence that he existed in which case there is no need to make a speculative decision and we conclude that he did or, there quite simply isn't any evidence, just hearsay which we ignore entirely until it encroaches on our ability to function. Just because the modern popular majority has become convinced of his existence courtesy of one hell of a marketing exercise, no more makes him real than the ancient majority that had never heard of him makes him a figment of imagination. There was surely a time in history when the figure of Christ that is now a household name was so obscure as to be a myth. In our collective heads, we need to go back to that time and require evidence beyond the in-your-face media that perpetuates what has become the popular notion of JC. Not only did he not leave us evidence of his antics and thinking through his own writing but he didn't bother to ensure its survival through divine intervention the way his advocates claim he facilitated the survival and discovery of the existing body of fairy tales.
I believe there were many people around named Jesus. Yes one of them was the equivilent of say Ghandi and preached peace and love. Good on him! But all the magic tricks were later added by Constantine and his cronies to give him credence. Check out the movie zietgiest, the myth of religion, that goes a long way about explaining Jesus!
I made this thread because, I just switched from A to C. If there was a man with the exact story as Jesus, and you use the same proof of Jesus, it wouldn't have much credence. If anything, the Jesus story at best could be an amalgam of tales.
There were as many as a 500 crucifixions a day before the walls of Jerusalem by the Romans during the Jewish revolt. I sure there was more than a few Yeshuas in the mix
Jennifer since you switched from A to C this questionair was worthwhile afterall.
B. I think there is a good deal of evidence that a Jewish Rabbi fitting the Biblical accounts may have existed. That's it. He wasn't magic. He wasn't a god. He was just a guy trying to do his schtick in the desert and maybe shake up the prevailing dogma of the time.

Constantine, a power hungry man, decreed Christ to be a god with the Nicene Creed.

So now we have the magical sky daddy. Christianity stole most of it's rituals and holidays from Constantine's old religion.

So if Jesus ever existed, he was just a dude hanging out with other dudes in the desert.
C. I don't think he existed and if he did, the claims regarding his abilities are definitely false.
At first, I thought Jesus might have been a real person and the claims were exaggerated. But, as I have researched claims for documentation of his reality, I have concluded that the Biblical Jesus is pure fiction. NOTHING that is claimed of him in the Bible ever happened.

C. Don't believe he existed.
I'm of the B. mind set. I believe its possible he existed, not that he actually did, or that someone like him existed, in which the stories were based on, or maybe several people existed that to the masses did things that were 'unbelievable' and later exaggerated. Eventually they morphed into the Jesus Story and were written down.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service