Apparently you can't do polls on here.... but

Do any of you think that Jesus actually existed? What do category do you fall into?

A. Believed he existed, claims are false

B. Believed he existed, claims are exaggerated

C. Don't believe he existed

D. Believe he existed, claims are true (sorry had to leave the idiot category open)

Views: 2302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yipeeeeee! I can rest easy *wink wink*
Carry on then, good sir.
That's why he jokingly implied that I would surely pick the pro-UFO side here (again to disagree with him).

"Jo" sounds like a male variant to you?

Then I can put to rest any slightly paranoid wondering if part of the issue is my being female.
Does this mean you have been de-frocked instead of de-gened?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. And it's only 10 pm here. What I will be doing at 1 am is anyone's guess.
Woops.

Yes, as a matter of fact, where I'm from Jo is a male name (as well as a female one). Apologies.
Woops.

Yes, as a matter of fact, where I'm from Jo is a male name (as well as a female one). Apologies.

No worries. Didn't realize you're in Belgium. If it's any consolation, my online nick is taken from my would-be male name. Had I been a boy, Mom and Dad's chosen name was "Joseph Jerome."

I just took the female version 'Jo' (at least, here in the states), and use 'Jerome' as if it's a last name (to honor way-cool uncle Jerry).

Meanwhile, ran into the same snag myself years ago with an online friend in the UK named 'Dani.' Here, that's almost always a female name. Glad I erred on the side of caution and avoided gender-specific pronouns before discovering UK-Dani is male.

;-)
Of course Jesus existed. Google Maps Proves It
I believe that "Jesus" was a literary amalgamation of now-unknown millenarian prophets bulked up by Old Testament cross references to "prove" the fulfillment pf messianic prophecy.
Why would you believe this?
B. Believed he existed, claims (i.e., claims of miracles, that is the son of God and was born of a virgin and was resurrected and...) are false. Jesus was probably one of many teachers in that area at that time. Thanks to the PR work of Paul and those after him, though, we now have CHRISTIANITY and all its embellishments.
i dont think he existed. and without having all the magical powers n being the son of god, the fact that some guys name was jesus means nothing, really -- plenty of living guys named jesus right now. he probably didnt exist at all, people just want to think he did because so many people believe in him. its not like people go around wondering, did jack from jack and the beanstalk live? maybe his stories were just exaggerated... without those stories he wouldnt be relevant to anything, and hed just be a guy named, jack. if they taught every kid to believe in jack or die, well a lot of people would believe in jack and he would have just as much street cred.
Actually there are plenty of atheists with nothing to gain from a historical Jesus who see evidence enough to suggest he was indeed a historical figure of some sort, and not a total fabrication. You'll find this evidence discussed within the last ten pages or so of this thread.
The stories were certainly exaggerated, but then again so are the stories about Caesar, Vespasian or Mohammed. That doesn't by itself give us a reason to doubt that these figures existed.

The fact of the matter is that the only people being biased in this matter are our fellow atheists (apologists like Carrier, or nitwits like Doherty): there's no real evidence to doubt that Jesus existed (and quite a bit of evidence to suggest that he did), but for some it's just sooooo tempting to have this one monster-argument that proves Christianity wrong in a matter of seconds. The problem is it isn't true.
And it really shouldn't matter either way: there are plenty of sticks to beat Christianity with as it is, no need to invent a fictitious one ("Jesus never existed!"). Plus, it won't make us look like irrational nitwits. Which is important.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service