I hope we can start a serious disscusion about having one Global Atheist Symbol to identify all the atheists in the World.

The two letters A + T are at the root of more than 80 official languages plus hundreds of unofficial languages or regional languages:

Latest design 2010 ATHEIST EYE ~OJO ATEO:
http://www.atheistnexus.org/video/universal-atheist-symbol-2007-1

The original design:

Slideshow of the latest design atheisteye:

Athesitically yours

Jorge Aberingi

Tags: atheisteye, atheistsymbol, ojoateo, simboloateo

Views: 2278

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Bryan, I agree: These posts are in no logical order! It would be nice if they were.
The nesting does make it a little confusing.
Where am I?
Right now between two replies of 15 hours ago Susan and Aberingi. And your reply is one hour ago. This is weird. All the messages get mixed up. :-|.
Aberingi
They aren't mixed up. It is called nesting. It shows the reply to the person above. It only gets messed up if the reply and the post that the poster is responding to are not on the same page or there are many different replies between them.
Yes it's a pity, looks like that the thread goes by individual replies, It's hindrance. If you clik in your letter box one mail it takes you to the sender despite the page order.
So I can see all my replies all over the place.

Well I thing that the trick is in your letter box. What I do is go back to my inbox to read the mails one by one and replying one by one. It takes more time to follow the thread. But that's what there is.

Aberingi.
Yes. There are lots of designs but the problem has been to make just one of them universal. I would love to have a big, in your face, symbol to wave at all the cross bearing religious idiots.
Sorry for my sense of humour bellow but I can' help it :-)

Dear beautiful nick "Enlightened Observer" :-) It looks like you are fishing with a hammer...

If you "observe" this statistics" : http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm (properly)
---------------------------------

-----------------------------

Reading horizontally (not just pikking diagonally) from left to right line after line until you reach the bottom of the page (must relax and put time aside, otherwise it's a waste of time) you will be "enlightened" by the amazing evidence that the A/T (the innovative letter A+T joined together) is by far the most used root in the word atheist in the world of internet.

I draw my own conclusion that about 70% of cybernautes would relate the A/T with atheism.

Chinese simplified:

Universal Atheist Symbol =通用符号无神论

With the A/T next to the word.
Japanese:

Universal Atheist Symbol =ユニバーサル無神論者のシンボル

Arabic:

Universal Atheist Symbol =الرمز العالمي الملحد

Russian (uses the AT but in Cyrillic):

Universal Atheist Symbol =Всеобщая Атеист Символ

Korean:

Universal Atheist Symbol =유니버설 무신론 심볼

OK, are you "enlightened" by your "observation"?

Look the 5 top languages that use Latin A/T + the Russian that uses A/T in Cyrillic amounts to 894 million speakers in their native languages in their own countries. Not as a second language. Ok?.

English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, French and Russian.

The four other top languages amounts to 601 million speakers in their native languages in their own countries. Not as a second language. Ok?.

A total of 1,595.3 million cybernautes using their native language to communicate in Internet.

Of the remaining 313.7 million speakers of other languages most of them use the A/T, covering all of Europe, both, in Latin root and Cyrillic root A/T. Even Turkish and some Asian countries like Vietnam that use the Latin root. ETC.

And the most important to understand my point is that English is a "Lingua Franca" is the Global language nowadays, used for business, education, science, technology, medicine, etc.

So, "enlightened observer" I am going to paste the "notes" of the page bellow just in case you haven't read the full article horizontally :-)

--------------------------------
(*) NOTES: (1) Top Ten Languages Internet Stats were updated for December 31 2009. (2) Internet Penetration is the ratio between the sum of Internet users speaking a language and the total population estimate that speaks that specific language. (3) The most recent Internet usage information comes from data published by Nielsen Online, International Telecommunications Union, GfK, and other reliable sources. (4) World population information comes from the U.S. Census Bureau . (5) For definitions and navigation help in several languages, see the Site Surfing Guide. (6) Stats may be cited, stating the source and establishing an active link back to Internet World Stats. Copyright © 2010, Miniwatts Marketing Group. All rights reserved worldwide.

Examples for data interpretation:
- There are 136,524,063 Spanish speaking people using the Internet, this represents 7.9 % of all the Internet users in the world.
- Out of the estimated 411,631,985 world population that speaks Spanish, only 33.2 % use the Internet.
- The number of Spanish Speaking Internet Users has grown 650.9 % in the last eight years (2000-2009).

Tallying the number of speakers of the world's languages is an increasingly complex task, particularly with the push in many countries to teach English in their public schools. How many people can actually use the global language? David Graddol estimated a total of 750 million L1 (first or native language) plus L2 (second or nth language) speakers of English in his Future of English Report (pdf document) for the British Council. One of our subscribers, Martin Schell, has reviewed Prof. Braj Kachru's new book Asian Englishes which claims that India and China combined have over half a billion "users" of English.

Indeed, many people are bilingual or multilingual, but here we assign only one language per person in order to have all the language totals add up to the total world population (zero-sum approach). No adjustments have been made for infants or illiteracy in the Internet penetration rate calculations. Very few countries have 100% literacy. Australia, Denmark, Finland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Norway are six countries to mention. Regarding children, most are early Internet adopters (when they are given the chance to surf).
-----------------------

On the other hand, all the local and national or international Atheist Symbols have their own independent lives and the more the merrier, diversity is freedom, I support diversity.

The point I am trying to make in the last few days in this thread is:
I can use any symbol I like to communicate with my peers. The ATOM symbol and the scarlet A for example have some limitations to be understood straight away.

Well I stop now I have to go to bed :-).

Atheistically yours

Aberingi

Now you have officail crossed the border with me from just being forceful to being an ass. Where did he say that he didn't like your symbol or didn't think it was needed? I fail to see the humor at all in what you wrote.
I am Spaniard I think I am subject to culture shock, I don´t understand ass.
And, obviously, humour is different in different cultures. No animosity on my site. I'll take more care in what I write.

Aberingi.
I really like this symbol. As much as i love the logo for The American Atheists, I agree with your logic that we should have a symbol that could be universally recognized in the same way that other symbols (both religious and otherwise) are recognized.

It's hard to recognize other atheists/non-theists outside of conversation, so I think it would be a good way to increase "fellowship" amongst each other as well.

And on a personal level, it really furrows my brow when I see a car with a bunch of fundamentalist Christian type bumper stickers and such...and I'd really get a rise out of doing the same to one of them.
-Maybe that's a bit childish...but if it is...who cares? It's how i feel :)

Keep up the good work Aberingi
Well said Jeff the other day I met the driver of one of those cars with the jesus fish on them. I almost couldn't help my self.. go to http://shop.cafepress.com/atheist?source=searchBox I found them the other day for the first time from a guys site on the AN and man have I been missing this site.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Frank Moorman posted a status
"Heading to Las Vegas this weekend and hope to see the Tree of Knowledge, decorated with book covers, posted by the LV Coalition of Reason."
50 minutes ago
Frank Moorman updated their profile
1 hour ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"I signed up here four years ago, but did not participate, what with life taking some interesting turns. So I'll try again."
1 hour ago
Frank Moorman replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
1 hour ago
Daniel W replied to James M. Martin's discussion Austin City Council Candidate Uses "I'm Devout Christian, He's an Atheist" Graphic on Her Website
2 hours ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Austin City Council Candidate Uses "I'm Devout Christian, He's an Atheist" Graphic on Her Website
2 hours ago
Michael Penn commented on Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's blog post Einstein on God, narrated by Richard Dawkins
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to Pat's discussion Hello Dalai.., Err, Goodbye Dalai
2 hours ago
Daniel W replied to Daniel W's discussion "Pope Francis played Huge Role in Cuba Deal"
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service