Aberingi's long-running topic entitled "Do we need a Universal Atheist Symbol?" leads me to ask "Do we need a Universal Atheist Motto?".

Well, perhaps we don't, or perhaps we could, but some theists might get deservedly irritated if we chose to use something like "In Darwin we trust" at appropriate moments.
These words, suitably translated into other languages, have a basic international atheist appeal with respect to truth and helpful anti-theist sabre-rattling and debating.
e.g. they might look good on the side of a bus/ coach.

Tags: Darwin, bus slogan

Views: 572

Replies to This Discussion

I expect you know that I was making use of Laplace's famous remark.

But for anyone who does not know, Napoleon reportedly asked Laplace why God was not mentioned in Laplace's latest great 'tome', to which the mathematician and scientist replied "I have no need of that hypothesis".
Before arriving at a motto for Atheism I think it would be wise to understand the foundation of theism. In large part that foundation consists of a belief on the part of theists that practicing their faith is good. Approaching them with an insulting remark to the effect that they are wrong will only serve to have them see us as bad (rude, discrediting and attacking good). It will put them on the defensive, serve to anger and energize them in their beliefs and be counterproductive to our cause. Why should we shoot ourselves in the foot? It would be wiser to have them realize that practicing their faith is not good by, in a polite and low keyed manner, pointing out why. This would tend to disarm them and make us new friends. To this end our approach should be to convey that worshiping is not in fact good, firstly because only narcissistic beings would want to be worshiped and secondly because it detracts from the fulfillment of ones potential to the benefit of mankind. I think it very important that we who believe so much in reason use it in this situation.
"a polite and low keyed manner"

Good luck with that;)
I like the idea of some mottos or phrases for Atheists because we always say them with a smile.

One that I love saying to Christians is "Man Created God in His Own Image" because they don't realise initially what's happened, then they get really annoyed.

But what about this for a motto. "Atheism: Keeping it real since 1859"
Yes, the christians can no doubt thank god for the Dark Ages.
why 1859? Atheism has obviously been around much longer than that. "Atheism: Keeping it real since the beginning" or "Atheism: Keeping the real in reality".
Without god, nothing is impossible...
I agree that there have always been atheists but before "On the Origin of Species", Atheism was polemic. Once you have evidence that Genesis is wrong and that people's concept of God is wrong (not loving or righteous) then the balance is shifted.
The problem we run into is one of "herding cats". Unity of some sort would help out the cause of reason and rationality, but getting so many individuals to attach themselves would involve the development of some sophisticated meme which transcends cultural barriers throughout the world.

Basicly, we cant herd the cats, but we may be able to use bait. :)
I dont think it would be too far out to say that might work... 'Dont rub us the wrong way'; 'make sense or make dinner, otherwise we are out'; or something playing on the god-dog reversal and the fact that we dont get along. Lots of options out there for people far more gifted in linguistic innovation than an ape like me :)

Or some common phrases of internal humor likw "Ive seen litterboxes with more precious nuggets than what you just said" or something like that.

TANGENT: I wonder if atheists are more likely to own cats than theists?
Yes, yes!
All must submit to the will of the cat overlords!
How clever of these noble beasts to so cunningly domestical the wild and willful ape species commonly known as man!
Behold, the true believers: http://catreligion.org/about-bast/
sure, one for each atheist!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service