Internet trolls thrive on bullying, generating outrage, creating fake conflicts, violating community standards, and kicking books out of the hands of nerds in the hallway.   They, like gods, cannot live without attention.  The attention that sustains them, is outrage.   And just like gods, and Tinker Bell, if you don't believe in them, they fade away.

If a troll happens to respond to this topic, even here, it's best not to respond to it.  I forget whether the person who starts a topic can remove responses, but if so...  that could happen.  Meanwhile, you can talk about the troll, but not actually respond to it.

I don't now what's up with admin.  Regardless, this is the best atheist site on Ning or any other network.  The annual troll visitation will pass, things will settle down, and the sun will shine again.

Actual unretouched photo taken of a troll.  Via commons.wikimedia.org

Tags: troll

Views: 556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That showed a lot of self control on your part.

Thanks, I forced myself to ignore any of his posts.

Susan, could you say more? I don't see a connection with the first part of your sentence and the last, as Daniel appears to.

Pat, I wouldn't feel bad about not addressing his issues.  Seriously, how many times in your life have you run into this type of person?  I'm sure you have seen this countless times before.  For me, every time I have an encounter, I recognize their modus operandi right away and I know that engaging with them is futile.  People like him are not going to change their views after having a conversation on an internet forum.  They need some serious intervention in order to change the way they view the world.  

They need some serious intervention in order to change the way they view the world. 

But conversation and the internet is serious intervention.

And if someone's mind were changed, it would not be by calling them names such as "troll" and otherwise putting them down.  That only makes them defend their position with insults.  They get more like trolls the more they are insulted. 

Carl you are right.  He clearly didn't learn anything.   Google search - looks like he has also posted on another forum and was quickly dealt with.  Also here.   Hard to say from the cryptic content.

And here - close to what he put onto Nexus, including the Avatar.   I haven't compared.

Yes, Daniel, saw those other websites when I Googled him after he first posted here.  He's the classic internet troll who is not open to discussing anything rationally.  His only motivation is to spew his hate and rile people up.  He's not looking for any type of intellectual conversation, despite what he may say.    

It was your comment that caused me to search too. I should have credited you to that.

Sadly, when someone is allergic to reason, exposing them to it just makes them have a reaction.

He does fit the troll definition, for certain, and is best dealt with a as such.
Sentient, how do you unfollow someone? And, would you have to be following to unfollow?

k.h., if you have commented on a topic or discussion, below the comment text box is a link to "Stop Following".  Just click that.

That stops following that discussion, not the person per se.  I wish it was possible to unfollow a person.  It also still appears in the activity box.  It just doesn't appear in your email in-basket.

Also, when you receive an e-mail alerting you to a new post, it contains a link to click if you wish to stop following the topic. 

Excellent point! I should have remembered that. Please call my worplace and tell them I need early retirement with disability, for my dementia. Thank you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service