I'm aware it's not only Christians who are homophobic, but in my life so far they are the only people I have experienced who have voiced their opinions to me. 

I have quite a liberal family, so finding out about and meeting my girlfriend wasn't a big deal for them. However, since I started talking about her to my friends and mentioning to them that they might meet her soon, I've noticed that those friends who are Christian are not taking the news well.

They're not being explicitly insulting or anything, and I guess I should be grateful for that. It's just the casual comments about how "it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and "I think that people have a right to be gay, but I just don't want them in my house". They give me enough trouble for being an atheist already, but this seems altogether more personal. 

I don't know whether I'm being over sensitive being troubled by what they're saying. Normally I just laugh it off and try not to let it bother me (why should I care what they think?), but it's really been getting to me lately. Has anyone got any tips for how to cope? 

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even if gay WAS a choice, I see nothing wrong with it.  Sex between consenting adults is of no one's concern but the people involved.
seems they bother eachother and then end up bothering the general population of non phobic of others types... maybe this will take you further... into the psyche of xyz...
http://faculty.virginia.edu/haidtlab/jost.glaser.political-conserva...
~
careful out there folks...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15086103
I don't think you are being overly sensitive. I think these friends of yours are the ones being overly sensitive. It's not like who your personal relationship is with has any effect on their lives at all. To fight back you could always come up with a few "casual" comments of your own... "Are you against love" "Don't knock it until you try it" and so on.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service