I'm aware it's not only Christians who are homophobic, but in my life so far they are the only people I have experienced who have voiced their opinions to me. 

I have quite a liberal family, so finding out about and meeting my girlfriend wasn't a big deal for them. However, since I started talking about her to my friends and mentioning to them that they might meet her soon, I've noticed that those friends who are Christian are not taking the news well.

They're not being explicitly insulting or anything, and I guess I should be grateful for that. It's just the casual comments about how "it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and "I think that people have a right to be gay, but I just don't want them in my house". They give me enough trouble for being an atheist already, but this seems altogether more personal. 

I don't know whether I'm being over sensitive being troubled by what they're saying. Normally I just laugh it off and try not to let it bother me (why should I care what they think?), but it's really been getting to me lately. Has anyone got any tips for how to cope? 

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like others have mentioned, the best way to cope would be to disengage from people that are so closed minded about homosexuality. Distance yourself from them as much as possible and seek out supportive friends and family members.

The only alternative would be to challenge them directly when they make statements that are upsetting to you.  Like for instance:  "I understand that Christians define homosexuality as sinful but there are other people who think that being gay is as natural and normal as being straight...it's just the way some humans develop and it's not a choice. People cannot control who they find attractive and there will always be a segment of the population who are attracted to the same sex.  Since the beginning of time.  There always have been...it's just that homosexual people are oppressed and repressed by cultural disapproval and religious intolerance from people like you."

Challenging them like that though, they'd probably just respond that 'god' says its wrong in the bible.  Doesn't matter if 'god' says other crazy shit in the bible, they just cherry-pick what they want from that collection of horrible stories.
Maybe it's time to tell people like those ones that biblical scripture is not universally accepted as fact-based!  And the term 'sinful' isn't justified when a person is just being him or herself.  Of all people that profess to be loving and compassionate, this obsession that some Christians have with what 2 adults do in the privacy of their homes is just ridiculous.  They really should focus their attention on poverty and hunger and actually ACCOMPLISH something with all that energy they have been wasting criticizing other people's lives and 'morality'.
The rampant homophobic mentality that runs in christian circles is one of the things that turned me off from the belief system. I've been overweight since my mid-teens, and I have always found it hypocritical how so many would come down on gays for their sexuality, when they have a beer belly hanging over their belts. As many fat jokes as there are out there, fat people aren't villified for their so-called sin of gluttony, as gays are for their sin. You may want to point that out to your friends and let them chew on that awhile.

Deplorable. People will hide and wrap their hate up in religion. Washed in the blood of the lamb, my ass.

Also not supposed to wear 2 types of cloth @ the same time and that's as bad an offense as being gay I think it says in the bible.  Freakin Idiots.  Neither one is bad. lol

I recommend the  "it gets better" project.  http://www.itgetsbetter.org/video/

And when you need a boost, watch Zach Wahls, this kid just kicks bigoted you know whattage.

my daughter just saw Dan Savage @ her university.  She said his speech

was excellent.  She bought his book after and got his autograph.  I'm going to read it when she's done. :)

awesome, awaiting your review...

WOW  Very well done!

Unless I have no choice (work situations or other involuntary associations) I don't associate with such people.   Everybody's free to hold whatever opinions they want, but they don't have the right to use those opinions to hurt others. 

You're not being oversensitive to what your friends are saying.   Crude comments like that are no more acceptable than racism, sexism or any other form of bigotry.  If I heard someone say something nasty like, "I think that people have a right to be gay, but I just don't want them in my house" I'd probably reply, "I'm sure the feeling is mutual". 

All people who judge others on things the others cannot change are, in my view, subhuman and unworthy of my respect or care.

Totally agree with you Brian.  Unfortunately many idiots think being gay is a choice.  You can't convince them otherwise.  Too dumb to even try and reason with them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service