I'm aware it's not only Christians who are homophobic, but in my life so far they are the only people I have experienced who have voiced their opinions to me. 

I have quite a liberal family, so finding out about and meeting my girlfriend wasn't a big deal for them. However, since I started talking about her to my friends and mentioning to them that they might meet her soon, I've noticed that those friends who are Christian are not taking the news well.

They're not being explicitly insulting or anything, and I guess I should be grateful for that. It's just the casual comments about how "it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and "I think that people have a right to be gay, but I just don't want them in my house". They give me enough trouble for being an atheist already, but this seems altogether more personal. 

I don't know whether I'm being over sensitive being troubled by what they're saying. Normally I just laugh it off and try not to let it bother me (why should I care what they think?), but it's really been getting to me lately. Has anyone got any tips for how to cope? 

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I chose not to be friends with people who are prejudiced, racist, homophobic and bigoted in any way. They are not a good influence.  But it is up to you if you want to continue being friends with them.  The one thing I can't tolerate is intolerance.
It would be nice if I didn't have to be around them, but I'm in my last year at school and so I'm around them every day. They're friends with my other (non evil) friends, so it would be quite difficult to remove them from my life. Only one more year though!
I want to use exactly all the words Steph just did and in the same order. :)

I find a quick knee in the bollocks enormously satisfying; unless it's a woman.

There are any number of comebacks you can use - like "Your parents must be so proud" or "Would you like some tomato sauce to go with that chip? [On your shoulder]"

Your brain can't tell the difference. Love's love. You're lucky and I hate you! ;-)

"Would you like some tomato sauce to go with that chip?" 

Haha, that's made me happy! I may have to use that one. 

Thanks for cheering me up :) 

indeed; the bother themselves; they eat their own. just like corporations

Thanks Richard. It's been a really intense evening on the homophobia front. I've had to tell a good friend that I can not longer be around her due to her homophobia. Somehow it's ended up that she is actually angry at me about it. She's saying that she let us continue to be friends despite the fact that I disagree with her Christian beliefs (I also continued to be friends with her despite her disagreement with my atheism, but that's besides the point) and that I'm being intolerant by not wanting to associate with a homophobe. 

Ergh, people! :( 

There are degrees of homophobia. I am not sure if "grossed out by same-sex action" is homophobia, or just being grossed out by a particular sexual activity (plenty of people are grossed out by sexual activities that aren't their thing). The next degree is limiting one's behavior because the person is scared of coming off as gay or scared that they actually are gay. Then there is the religious "love the sinner, hate the sin"--which makes some people preachy and judgmental, but I think it could also be interpreted as "you can still like a person even if you don't like everything about them". And then there is WBC, Pink Swastika and other people who believe homosexuality should be a criminal or capital offense. 

I had a friend who identified as non-straight but later became Christian and believed the usual Christian view of men and women being meant to be, but still was very accepting of me when I said I had a girlfriend. I also had a Sikh friend and I was so afraid to tell her. I finally did after over a year of being friends. She did say a few times that she thought people should be with the opposite sex, if everyone went gay then humanity would go extinct, and some other way-off things but to give her some credit, she had NEVER (knowingly) met any non-straight person before. She also then asked me about my experience too. We are still friends. I don't require my friends to agree with me on everything and I don't need everyone's approval about my relationships, so I can still be friends with someone who thinks differently. I would probably start inching away from someone if they were totally unwilling to talk about it.

xtians would mostly reply that being gay is a choice. ha!  my ass!  You just can't argue with dumb.
the next stage is ambidexteritiy. We text'game'and now talk with both hands. Writtern lang with a single hand is dying. remember when it was taboo to write with your left?

Homophobes are poison to the mind.  For what they say to your face, they are probably saying more behind your back.  Bigots are usually cowards so are as likely to say things you don't hear as say things you do hear.  

The Adam and Steve comment is so cliche and time worn they might as well be quoting the bible - that comment has been around for decades.  It indicates a lack of intelligence and a lack of critical thinking.  It's a form of groupthink - they don't have to think for themselves.

I expect as time passes you will drift away from these jerks, or they will drift away from you.  Friends don't say hurtful thoughtless things to friends - why would someone need enemies if that was the case?

Since you are still in school it might be better to smile in their face and avoid them at other times.  People usually go their separate ways after graduation, no need to have unnecessary drama and isolation.  I wouldn't go out of my way to remove them from your life, just don't invest emotional energy in them either.

I overhear some fine christian folks saying the darndest things. Like "All those queers ought to be shot" "and Mexicans" "and we should just go over there to the arab countries and kill every man, woman, child, cat, dog, donkey and everything else(a preacher said that one)" When they do this, I sometimes say "and those methodists, too!" .They get confused by that one.       Sad fact : A lot of christians are very violent minded, hate filled bigots. And they will never admit to hating anyone.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service