Where Bars Outnumber Grocery Stores

My area looks golden.

Tags: local resources

Views: 211

Replies to This Discussion

The town I live in has a population of about 100,000; I don't know how many supermarkets were in town before 2008, but after the Meltdown, one of the biggest chains in SoCal closed at least two branches, including the one closest to me.  (With the best bakery.*shee-ite!*)

Since then, two different smaller chains (one specialized in "organic" mdse and high prices) have tried to make a go of running that store, and nada.

Nobody is going to invest in something as large as a modern supermarket if the customers aren't there.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the poll had something to do with the "Family Values" morality police.  And who knows if their statistics are honest.

Polls and studies can be slanted and suppressed. 

There was an infamous study back in the 1960s that compared the driving skills of regular users of marijuana, and social drinkers at 5 different levels of "intoxication."  It's never been published because it didn't show the "right" results.  Drinkers became unsafe drivers at the lowest level...one drink.  Pot smokers were MORE alert, with faster reaction/reflex times, wider peripheral vision, till they got to level 5. 

The only reason I know about it is that one of my favorite writers typed the report to help pay his college tuition. And when he became a respected, award-winning writer, he wrote about it.  Nobody cared.

So pot is still illegal, and the FDA is still saying it's a "gateway" to heroin, and people who really need the stuff for medical reasons are being denied a useful and safe anti-nausea drug...and harassed if they are able to get some. S'Not fair!

It isn't fair. 

And, don't we need more bars than grocery stores?  I need a selection to choose from.  I need the gay bar, the bar I visit for live music, the bar where I play pool, the bar with the lake view, the bar where everyone is older than me, etc:)  I only need one grocery store...

Good point. But I use different grocery stores too. The one that's best overall, price-wise and quality-wise doesn't carry particular products we consider essential.

Understood.  I have lived places where that was the case, but here we have an awesome (IMO) Texas based chain and I can't imagine shopping anywhere else.  I freaking love going to the store.

Interesting about that research. That's the way politics intersects with science in this country.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
42 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
46 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
48 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
49 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
51 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
59 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service