I have noticed atheists coming out in support of homosexuals. Do some feel that supporting homosexuality is a necessary part of atheism ? Or, do they support homosexuality simply because religion opposes it? What is the attitude of atheists in general to homosexuality? Where homosexuality deserves support and where it should not be supported?

MADHUKAR KULKARNI

Views: 3028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Organized atheists, at least as a community, tend to support a rational and fair world. One cannot support a rational fair world unless you support the same rights for all people. So unless they are hypocritical bigots, still awash in their religious delusions on a social level, they will support all the same rights for gay people.

I believe the last record I found showed about 85% to 90% of the atheist community support equal rights for gays, which is pretty good, but I'm unable to find it again online, so don't quote me. Keep in mind, just because somebody has become an atheist, it does not mean they have completely moved past the religious social construct, which often pushed inequality.

There is no need to support gay people.  I am gay.  Just don't support religious disvremination against me.

Well like I said in another section of this post, yes, support is needed. Simply going about your day does not help the issues of inequality. You might not need support, but many people in less fortunate living situations do.

Lovely answer John Log.  Have you noticed how misogynistic most homophobes are?  How likely to be socially conservative; that is, there must be some direct correlation between the degree of religious fundamentalism and attitude toward homosexuality, sexual equality, acceptance of the science of neurobiology, &c.  The Fox blonde bund, for example, people like Laura Ingraham, who sports the biggest gold cross dangling from a big gold chain each time she appears, no matter what she wears, is such an obvious homophobe and anti-choice advocate.  And she's very mean-spirited about it.  That skinny dirty leg whore, Ann Coulter, said of a presidential candidate, he was a "fag" (though it later developed that if anything he was a serial womanizer). The only word that fits such individuals is "Bigot."

I feel the same John. Discrimination is wrong. Other than that I don't need everyone's approval. That would imply their opinion matters.

I have a very personal reason for supporting homosexuality: I am bisexual.  Beyond that, a commonality I see among many if not most atheists is of an appreciation for equal rights and equity in law.  I would not be at all surprised to discover that atheists supported the Civil Rights movement of the 1950's and 60's.  There is also considerable evidence for atheist support of the rights of the GLBT community on this site and elsewhere. Whatever side the church has come down on is less operant to me than the issue of RIGHTS and their free exercise.

The fact of atheism does not presuppose an automatic agreement on these other issues. I suspect the critical thought which has given rise to the atheist viewpoint, applied to these other issues, is where this seeming coincidence comes from.

I think that it is simply that religious people oppose homosexuality for no good reason other than their god thinks that it is wrong, most theists don't even understand or want to understand the concept. I don't see that we 'support' homosexuality rather than not find it an 'abomination'. Atheists have more tolerance because we are not bound by religious law and ignorance.

I love my freedom.

love your work sandi.

Homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality. Religious people have dogma that sets various rules for sex that have more to do with social control than with nature.   They blindly follow these rules with no regard for the harm to individuals or society.  Atheists can see past dogma and recognize scientific facts, which is why they generally support equality for gay people.  There's really no reason/circumstance in which equal rights for gay people shouldn't be supported. 

Sure it is...You summed it up very well Tara.

I agree with Tara.  I'm not 'for' homosexuality because most religious people are against it.  I believe peoples sexuality is nobody elses business.  As an Atheist, I am rational enough to know it is perfectly natural, and certainly not a 'sin'.  I support human rights and as long as someone elses rights aren't interfering with mine, none of my beeswax! lol.  I do love to tell religious people that say that it is a sin that it was homophobes in the bronze age who wrote the bible and I would never believe something that uninformed, unenlightened people believed.  Doesn't it say in the same place in the bible that wearing clothing made of 2 different materials is just as much of a sin?  Never in my life will I understand why people even want to believe the bible is a book from a loving god.  It's HORRIBLE.  I would never have subjected my kids to that trash.

Various rules and some.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service