I have noticed atheists coming out in support of homosexuals. Do some feel that supporting homosexuality is a necessary part of atheism ? Or, do they support homosexuality simply because religion opposes it? What is the attitude of atheists in general to homosexuality? Where homosexuality deserves support and where it should not be supported?

MADHUKAR KULKARNI

Views: 3156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.

Discussion and debate should be the life-blood of an atheist. After all, what are atheists if not people who are determined to find the truth, irrespective of how hard it may push us, or how harshly our ideas may be challenged?

Atheists, like scientists, should rejoice in having their ideas being proven wrong in the face of overwhelming evidence against them, because only then do we know that we are progressing and getting ever nearer to the truth.

Dawkins: 'I'd rather be unhappy and know the truth than be happy and live a lie'.

a toast to you sir!!

David... yes that's about the short and the long of it.......

ECXELLENT POST...

unfortunately the "ego" will win in most cases

truth is offense for the most part, and most people would rather be wrong and strong than be right and unpopular

nafir - I've found that if I have strong personal support - I can be true to what I really believe - whether I'm right or wrong about it, is another matter.... :)

agreed

a rational comment in a frenzy of emotional posts

My understanding is that Hillary Clinton is not an atheist, but she is speaking how many humanists think.

Mr. Kulkarni has his own agenda.  Now that he's been called on his illogical assertions, he claims to be backing out of the discussion - but hasn't closed it.

washington post

It is violation of human rights when people are beaten or killed because of their sexual orientation, or because they do not conform to cultural norms about how men and women should look or behave.  

It is a violation of human rights when governments declare it illegal to be gay, or allow those who harm gay people to go unpunished.  

It is a violation of human rights when lesbian or transgendered women are subjected to so-called corrective rape, or forcibly subjected to hormone treatments, or when people are murdered after public calls for violence toward gays, or when they are forced to flee their nations and seek asylum in other lands to save their lives.  

And it is a violation of human rights when life-saving care is withheld from people because they are gay, or equal access to justice is denied to people because they are gay, or public spaces are out of bounds to people because they are gay.  

No matter what we look like, where we come from, or who we are, we are all equally entitled to our human rights and dignity.

Let's add:

It is a violation of human rights to mutilate a child's genitals regardless of the social, cultural, or religious motivation.

Good point, Strangely enough for most people in the west it has or at least had become the norm in hospitals to the point where it wasn't even second guessed. Not sure of the current status....Although I am sure glad it isn't done at 12 years old or with a rock........ 

Although I am sure glad it isn't done at 12 years old or with a rock

Until some particularly dense and 'holier then thou' pompous jackass decides that is the manner of gods will.

Although I am sure glad it isn't done at 12 years old or with a rock........

Not a rock..but how about a mouth?

Take, for example, the case of the NYC Rabbi who, after circumcising boys would suck the blood from the penis. In doing so he gave the kids herpes, which was ultimately fatal....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/26/nyregion/26circumcise.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6898403/ns/health-childrens_health/t/ra...

It made me really angry this story.

Backward, repulsive, uncivilised imbeciles.

This is what religion does. It promotes raw ignorance.

As far as I aware this rabbi has never been prosecuted. Maybe someone could confirm this.

oooohhhh my jebussss.....what world do we live in......

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service