Survey: Do you know of any atheists who oppose gay marriage? If so, I would like to know why. Gay marriage has always been a religious issue because the gods don’t like gays to marry. Why would an atheist support making gay marriage illegal?
OVER 300 RESPONSES! FABULOUS, THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

Tags: gay, marriage, prop 8

Views: 663

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

A lot of gays have reconciled God and homosexuality, or still feel a deep attachment to God regardless of what the religious institutions say. It's . . . it's not exactly stupid. It's faith. They have faith that no matter what the mortal humans in charge of religion on earth say, the immortal God still loves and accepts them. I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but I've just been debating with my uncle for an hour in 80+ degree weather, and my brain hurts.

Let's see . . . a possible analogy (I'm not sure how good it is) is having an absent parent whom you never receive more than a birthday card a year from, and maybe a buck or two inside the card. All the kids at school tease you about it, all the teachers whisper that your parent ran off and doesn't love you any more, doesn't want you and never did. But you have faith that your parent still loves you, and you send them cards and letters and finger-paintings all the time, telling them how much you love them and miss them.

Does the absent parent still love you? Is everyone else right about them? You have no way of knowing for sure, but you know that you love them, and you refuse to give up hope that they do love you.

. . . Sad analogy is sad. :*( But that's the best I can do right now. It's not stupidity, it's faith that everyone else is wrong, and that absent someone really does love you.
Dear Angry Heretic:
You assume incorrectly that a politically-sensitive issue is “insulting to atheists.” Given the number of intelligent and articulate responses it would appear that you were the only one offended. Perhaps you should be more open-minded with questions that make you uncomfortable, you might learn something. Moreover, a person with any appreciable intellect does not assume that all members of any group agree on all issues.

News Flash: Headlines are supposed to grab the attention of the reader (duh), and as such make no assumptions. We-the atheist community-can learn a lot from Fox News, not the actual ‘news’ of course, but their marketing is painfully successful.

And one final thing: “Don't you EVER use that tone of voice with me, missy. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE TALKING TO? I'll tell you what you're gonna do, you're gonna MARCH yourself UPSTAIRS to your room and you will STAY THERE until I tell you to come out!”
Christians have been caught masquering Christian activism as science

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Gays result to name calling in a losing debate
Christians result to name calling in a losing debate

And so do you.
Charles Claybrooks wrote: Gays are in denial about being attracted to the wrong sex.

So you are saying that men are the wrong sex, Charles?
They should all be women. Suddenly, lesbians! Billions of them!
Didn't someone make a B film, "Planet of the Lesbians"?
Don't know, but our Charlie has a rap song called "Dyke Chicks" - charming.
Oh, maybe it's this one you remember:

So . . . Are these killers of lesbian vampires, or vampire killers who are lesbians? It's like the "Slow men working" road signs, hah!

. . . I wanna see that movie.
"Lesbian Vampire Killers" wasn't quite what I had in mind, and neither was this.

I was thinking more of the esteemed Mr. Claybrooks being sent into a future where there are no men on earth, and all the women are lesbians. Not one bisexual among them.

Muhoohoohahahahaha!
I listened to that. Now I need to scrub my ears out.
Personally, I do think it is very possible for an atheist to oppose gay marriage. Naturally, I would say that there are no people who oppose gay marriage because they are atheists, but they may be conservatives or other people who might see problems in legalizing gay marriage. Then we would be talking about people who oppose gay marriage and at the same time happen to be atheists. Because they are rational on one thing (they are atheists), it does not mean that their every opinion can be supported rationally.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service