Survey: Do you know of any atheists who oppose gay marriage? If so, I would like to know why. Gay marriage has always been a religious issue because the gods don’t like gays to marry. Why would an atheist support making gay marriage illegal?
OVER 300 RESPONSES! FABULOUS, THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

Tags: gay, marriage, prop 8

Views: 682

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've only met one, and his reasons were semantic. He just didn't want to call it marriage because he didn't want to learn a new definition for a word.
The real question is how many atheist support gay marraige only because they think it will piss off theists.
Like I've said before I'm pro - None of my damn buisiness. Just because I can have an opinion dosn't mean I should or do.

Plus the neat thing about Atheism-- you don't have to believe anything. To say something is incompatable with Atheism would be saying their are purely "Atheist" values and standards. If you don't believe in a god it dosn't mean you have to be a nice guy/gal you can be a racist bigoted asshole. The only difference is your the asshole not god, because your only jstification is your own rational. For us to talk like that is for us to start talking like them. Last I checked we didn't have a dogma, unless I missed that day.
I have to say, that I'm a little ashamed on this issue. I didn't realize how big of a deal it was until I got engaged to a woman of another race (I'm white, she's black). Looking into the history I realized that IN MY LIFETIME that their were still laws on the books of some states saying we couldn't marry for all the same idiotic reasons given against gay people.

Be assured that when/if it comes to a vote where I'm at, I'm voting for your freedoms.
I have posted the verdict concerning Charlie Here: http://atheistnexus.org/profiles/blog/show?id=2182797:BlogPost:4450...

Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service