Dinesh D'Souza trots out Nietzsche to argue that atheists who reject Peter Singer's view on the killing of infants, etc. are just lying to themselves:

Why haven't the atheists embraced Peter Singer? I suspect it is because they fear that his unpalatable views will discredit the cause of atheism. What they haven't considered, however, is whether Singer, virtually alone among their numbers, is uncompromisingly working out the implications of living in a truly secular society, one completely purged of Christian and transcendental foundations. In Singer, we may be witnessing someone both horrifying and yet somehow refreshing: an intellectually honest atheist.

Views: 1248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why haven't the christians embraced the Westboro Baptist Church? I suspect it is because they fear that their unpalatable views will discredit the cause of Christianity. What they haven't considered, however, is whether the Westboro Baptists, virtually alone among their numbers, are uncompromisingly working out the implications of living in a truly Christian society, one completely purged of reason and logical foundations. In the Westboro Baptists, we may be witnessing something both horrifying and yet somehow refreshing: an intellectually honest Christian church.

Then again, even the Westboro Baptists don't go quite far enough in their support of biblical teachings. After all, they don't stone disrespectful children, they don't force rape victims to marry their assailants, they don't kill every "witch" they meet, and I'm fairly certain I saw one of them wearing what looked like a cotton-poly blend shirt on one of the videos.
D'Souza is as intellectually dishonest as christians get. I'd love to see someone fully examine what our society would be like if we followed every rule set down in the bible... I'm guessing it wouldn't be to far removed from what we see in Iran or Saudi Arabia or any other strict theocracy that follows some ridiculously old book written by sadistic and power-hungry HUMANS.
Well he is misrepresenting Singer. There is nothing horrifying in has arguments over terminating severely and irredeemably ill and unsaveable babies, he is arguing to relieve them of avoidable suffering that is currently prevented by religious-type of "moral" reasoning as in D'Souza. How about D'Souza rises to the standards he wishes to apply to Singer, what we do not have in D'Souza is an intellectually honest theist, that he is so popular is not refreshing and horrifying.
Two things:

1) Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a deity. It says nothing of moral values, positive or negative. You can follow any moral system and still be an atheist if you do not believe there is a god.

2) How do we determine what the Christian and "transcendental" foundations of society are? Just because it says "thou shalt not kill" in the Bible doesn't mean the concept that killing is wrong originated with Judeo-Christian principles. In fact, all of the Ten Commandments, with the exceptions of the first four, which pertain to God, can be found in the Code of Hammurabi, which predates the Old Testament. I'd challenge D'Souza to name anything deriving from Christianity that is almost universally accepted as a good idea that couldn't have been brought about by secular means.

D'Souza's anti-atheist propaganda is being promoted at Huron H.S., Ann Arbor, as recently as April. http://humanities-notes.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-hate.html

Dinesh has no credibility.  Look what he did to Bill Maher's show several years ago.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service