In my part of the woods (Norway) coming out of the closet is usually something that brave Christians do. The believers usually don't talk about it, and only 4% attend church.
Many people have religious feelings of some kind, but they're often into some NewAge mumbojumbo.

Norway was "christened" by the sword about a millennium ago, and we have never forgotten that, which is probably the reason Norway is the most secular country in the world (except for countries where you can expect a visit from the police if you're a theist).

I don't think I know any Christians, but I suppose I must have met some of them during the last half century.

They tend to keep a low profile. Most of them probably fear strange looks from other people.

Christian fundamentalism, young Earthers and the like are virtually unknown here.

Because of an old law, you're born into membership of the Lutheran church, but you are free to leave it at 15, or earlier, if your parents approve.

So it's a strange feeling for me to read about the troubles non-theists go through in the U.S.; a country we've always counted among our closest friends, and which we have strong cultural and political ties with.

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's the same here. I live in Estonia, which is even less religious than Norway, and widely considered the least religious country in Europe. (See: Irreligion by country on Wikipedia)

However, I was (un)lucky enough to be born into a religious family, but as religious as they get here - not New/Young Earth Creationist Evangelical Idiots, but Evolution-Accepting Non-Church-Going family that rarely speaks of religion.
Anders, Great post, it is very nice to hear news from a country that is not controlled by religion. In the US, you could not be elected to a political office unless you were religious, preferably christian. Very few people in the US think for themselves when it comes to religion and politics they just follow what their parents believe. I have been reading a great deal about the growing influence of muslim immigrants in European countries and how the efforts to accommodate have lead to growing power of Islam in these countries. What is your view on this topic and what do you see in Norway.
Whenever these US-is-so-religious posts come up I need to pipe up and say I think I live in a different country. Where I live outside of Boston, religion rarely ever comes up at all. Deeply, outgoing religious people are very scarce. In my 48 years, I've only come across a handful of door-to-door Mormons or JW's.

In fact, just this morning in a meeting, we have to pick up an antenna at the Boston Catholic TV station to fix and everyone (7 people) was making jokes about calling the guy to arrange the pickup. Example -"Give him time to answer the phone, he might be in confession."

Although this area might not be as atheistic as Norway, it is nowhere near as religious as the Bible Belt is. Someone posted the Texas Republican Party Platform a couple of weeks ago and it was littered with references to god and Christianity. It made me look up the Mass. Republican Platform and there was a reference to the freedom of religion but had not one "God" or "Christianity" in it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
24 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
47 minutes ago
Soren Sagan commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
47 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Amy commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Jim B posted a photo
2 hours ago
Loren Miller commented on Dyslexic's DOG's blog post Wendy Wright (Creationist) arguably the Dumbest Person I've Ever Seen on Youtube!
2 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"Heading to Las Vegas this weekend and hope to see the Tree of Knowledge, decorated with book covers, posted by the LV Coalition of Reason."
3 hours ago
Frank Moorman updated their profile
3 hours ago
Frank Moorman posted a status
"I signed up here four years ago, but did not participate, what with life taking some interesting turns. So I'll try again."
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service