I have been researching quotes all day, and opinion seems to be divided, although I found quotes ftrom his letters which sounds like he definitely did not.

Got into it with some woo-woo folks today...and I'm chafed.

Views: 637

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Being that Einstein was perhaps one of the greatest minds ever, I would say that it would be a good idea to know what he thought about ALL issues whether or not you agreed with him.
How about this:

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.”
-Albert Einstein (letter written by Albert Einstein to the philosopher Eric Gutkind in January 1954)

That do?
yep, quoted it. You'd be surprised what people can rationalize away. I'm convinced. But the naysayers, not so much.
"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." (Albert Einstein)

Following his wife's advice in responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the International Synagogue in New York, who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding Do you believe in God?

This website has quite a lot of good quotes:
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Albert-Einstein-Quotes.htm
very woo-woo, isn't it?
From a correspondence between Ensign Guy H. Raner and Albert Einstein in 1945 and 1949. Einstein responds to the accusation that he was converted by a Jesuit priest: "I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life. I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist." "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from religious indoctrination received in youth." Freethought Today, November 2004
He sais quite specifically that the only concept of god that he had is the embodiment of the laws of the universe. He was an atheist. No doubt. From what I understand his few struggles with religion were due to the devotion of his wife.
I have over the years read all the Einstein quotations. He meets my personal definition of atheist.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one.”

I get the sense from the whole body of quotes that he used the word “god” in much the same way that I might use the designation “mother nature”; that is as a sort of personification of the universe and the laws of nature.
That seems to be the consensus. He used the word "God" as a metaphor. He never meant it to be anything supernatural, only natural.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service