Did Constantine the Great compose the bible, vote on Jesus' divinity... etc?

I read a fiction book that I'm sure most of you also read. It told a story of how Constantine the Great lived ~600 yrs after Jesus' death. He was himself a pagan and wanted to unite his country with one religion; Christianity. He had text burned, and added other text to exemplify Jesus' godliness. He then composed a book for the masses to learn from and called it the bible. It tells of how he and the other politicians of the time voted on whether or not he was the son of god, and he almost didn't win the position. I understand some of this book is fiction and some is not. I want to focus on this part and learn the truth. Also, how do you know, where did you get your information.

Views: 923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I highly recommend Bart D Ehrman's Jesus Interrupted for gaining understanding of new testament historical context...and definately try the podcast series Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean by Phillip A Harland...this one is a real treasure and provides some alternative perspectives to some of the Ehrman conclusions...the main gospels and Pauline epistles were in general circulation by the entrance of Constantine... Look into Marcian as well, you'll find he was one of the earliest christians to attempt to collect a conon in the 1st/2nd cent...I think. Also check out the codex sinaiticus...a 1600 year old bible.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service