We have been dancing around this problem often in Howard's other threads and derailing them, so now let's make a thread just for it.

Now let's open it up. What problems do you have with determinism?

More specifically, what flaws do you see in its application or shaping of lifestyles?

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We live in the past and in the future- the present is almost impossible to grasp- reflecting on our observations of what's just happened and anticipating what's about to. A lot of New Age thinking would have us believe that only the now is real. Past and future are illusions.

Strange you present it like that. In my experience it's New Agers who claim the past and future to be as 'real' as the present.
Your assumption is that pure causality is the unbreakable rule. Let me throw this into the mix. The universe, via a very strong circumstantial case, contains a good deal of absolutely nothing. Nothing has neither a cause nor effect. It has no mass, no temperature, no light, no inertia, etc. Yet, without it, we could have no darkness, no cold, no vacuum - and everything else would have no wiggle room. So - is causality the only game in town?
Nothing has neither a cause nor effect. It has no mass, no temperature, no light, no inertia, etc. Yet, without it, we could have no darkness, no cold, no vacuum - and everything else would have no wiggle room. So - is causality the only game in town?

I very strongly disagree.

Nothingness can be very instrumental in causing effects. Nothingness can also be the outcome(caused effect) of something.

For example, the absence of light, warmth, etc.(the nothingness that you describe) exerts an influence on living organisms. There are reactions that result in nothing where once there was something.
How do you call someone who resists determinism? A rebel without a cause.
lol you could say that... i only argue for determinism because it is so fascinating.

Obviously there are more important factors of behavior to spend my time debating (*aherm religion)
determin'izm, schizm
are we playing w/language again?
try PHP, JAVA or PERL
then we'll have a determined debate on what works best for data-mining societies
hugh, wtf?

it's all about the money and who's buying out whom?
if some megachurch, CEO, etc. were to buy out atheist nexus for say 2 billion dollars and change the name to christ's nexass... well, do the math.
guess then you could just change the name, take the money and run but...
surely they'd have you sign your name in blood on that crucifix contract

?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service