Interesting to think about.

I think I would take pride in knowing my ancestor was executed as a "witch".  Not that anything they did has any influence on who I am, or vice versa.  

I wonder if asking the state to exonerate long-long-dead ancestor is a waste of money in these financially strapped times.  I don't know.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting!  I'm actually a  9x great-granddaughter of Mary Towne Estey who was hanged as a witch in Salem (as well as her sister).  It was shocking to discover this and to trace one line back to such an interesting and tragic historical event.  I think it's rather silly to ask for the state to exonerate someone who is long gone.  After all, they're not going to know!  Also, my 9x great-grandfather fought to have her name/reputation cleared and eventually won, so he did all he could back then, which was a good thing for their children.  

Of course, if the state wants to give me money, I'll gladly take it. hehe

Here's a twist. The Connecticut witch trials were held in the mid 1600's, at which time, Connecticut was an English colony. Connecticut didn't ratify the US Constitution until January of 1788.  It wasn't the US who convicted them. The US didn't exist. So, shouldn't they be making their case to the English Courts instead of a US State legislature or governor? Connecticut was, after all, governed by England, and under English law, when this happened.

Then again, maybe not. The last person convicted of witchcraft in England was Helen Duncan, and she still hasn't been pardoned. By the way, the conviction was in 1944.

The complicated web of legalities!  

Really, if the states are going to exonerate, maybe they should start by retroactively freeing a few million slaves.  A handful of witches is a small # compared to the # of slaves, who did nothing more wrong than being born to slave parents, or being at the wrong end of a "slave hunt" in Africa.

We spend too much time worrying about 'respect' issues for people long gone. Exoneration is valid for people still living, or for close family still living who are affected by the issue. But for people long gone, none of the original accusers or perpetrators are alive, it's absurd that people/organizations who had nothing whatsoever to do with the event should do anything about it.

This is akin to the nonsense about 'slave reparations' that periodically gets regurgitated.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service