I am really glad I found this site. I have just started the process of deprogramming myself from a Fundy Upbringing these last few months, reading books like "The God Virus", "Letter to a Christian Nation", "Godless", "The Concept", and now "Breaking the Spell". This was the inevitable next step in my progress. I have been in and out of Fundy Churches the past few years, too terrified to admit to myself that I really didn't believe anymore. The fear of "Hell" really had a hold on me. I still have deeply uneasy feelings that I am hoping will subside the more I feed my brain. I know the answer to this next question, but I will ask it anyways. Will this get easier. My fear of Hell has been significantly diminished, but I still have the "What if" feeling deep down. I am hoping that the more I read and learn, my heart will follow. I look at Christianity from the outside now and it looks so ridiculous. I can't believe I fell for all of that. Everything in my brain screams fairy tales, but I guess it will take time for the confidence to sink in. I have a few more books lined up; A few Dr. Robert Price Books, Bertrand Russell, and Christopher Hitchens. Any other ideas? Thanks for being here everyone!

Buddy

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to A/N friend.  Hope you find the support you are looking for in your deprogramming efforts - and they are deprogramming efforts.  There are a lot of former fundy's on here, each with a unique story, but with many common threads. Since most religion is based on fear - notice they tell you a hell of a lot more about hell than they ever tell about heaven - the effect is one that is easily seen in dogs who have been abused.  Certain sounds, faces or events will bring back memories and fears.  Pay close attention when you encounter one of those and let it wave over you, then do a rational dispute of the idea that caused it.  One of the best is to simply reaffirm yourself as a good and worthwhile person in the face of any and all religious claims.  Also, remember that if you had remained a Xian, you were still going to go to hell, according to the Muslims and Jehovah Witnesses.  Got to make the right choice.  We usually make the choice of the mainly or culture were were born in.

Join our group Recoveriing from Religion here on A/N if you haven't already.

All the best to you and glad you enjoyed The God Virus

Darrel Ray, author of The God Virus

Thanks so much! Loved the book!

I suggest you also add "Atheism: The Case Against God" by George H. Smith (Prometheus Books) to your growing library of freethought literature. It's presently available on Amazon. In my opinion, it's one of the best books on atheism for the average reader. Also, please visit the chat room and discuss your ideas and experiences with fellow members.

I haven't gotten any books on the subject, but I would recommend watching Religilous, the documentary (type thing) that Bill Maher did. That was the first thing I saw that spoke out against religion that really resonated with me and I think the fact that it was done by a comedian took some of the scary edge off it. Also it's just hilarious. And don't worry, this does get easier.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
11 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
20 minutes ago
Irrelevant People liked Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
25 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
27 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
28 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
30 minutes ago
Luara replied to Luara's discussion A question for the ex-religious
31 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Steph S.'s discussion How to be Tactful Responding With Diplomacy and Grace in the group Ethics and The Atheist
35 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Finland's Gay Bondage Stamps in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
50 minutes ago
Patricia replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
53 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
56 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service