I live in Britain, which as you probably know doesn't have capital punishment. How many of you are for it, and how many against? My own opinion is absolutely no, but then that's just me. The only time this came up, was in M.S. class, and I was the only person that thought it was wrong.

If you can be bothered to know what I think (I can’t see why you would). There was a case here in Britain about fifty years ago, (I can’t remember the names) two friends were escaping across a roof. They were cornered by the police, one drew a gun, the one behind (who was young (I can’t remember how young)) told the one with the gun to “let them have it”. The friend fired and killed four policemen. In court the person who shouted out was accused of egging on (don’t know legal term) and was hanged. He was later cleared, but only after he was killed. In my opinion, if just one innocent person is killed, you can’t do it.

Views: 135

Replies to This Discussion

You're not following my argument as you're inferring something which I did not say, which would be that it would better to execute a wrongly convicted person than to imprison them for life.

To clear that up, in regards to whether it would be better to execute a wrongly convicted person or imprison them for life ... neither. Our justice system is in dire need of reform. And as I've stated in this thread — or another similar here on AN — I only favour execution only in cases of undeniable guilt.
I disagree--it's certainly better to imprison a wrongly convicted person than it is to execute them, inasmuch as as long as the wrongly convicted person remains alive, the chance still exists that he or she could at some point be exonerated. Wrongful incarceration is of course a terrible thing, but not as bad as exonerating somebody after they're already dead.
I re-read his post. Where does he mention solitary confinement?
"Far better to let the convicted killer or child-rapist or what have you languish in jail for life, knowing that they'll never again experience the life of a free person--that they've thrown their life away."

It may not have been specifically mentioned, but it certainly happens.
Aiden, the bit that you quoted makes no mention of solitary confinement. I may be mistaken, but it sounds to me like you're confusing imprisonment (just plain ol' confinement) with solitary confinement.
No, I mentioned after the quote that it makes no specific mention of solitary confinement, but I pointed out that solitary confinement certainly does occur, which I consider to be a form of torture, emotional, psychological and physical.
Nobody was talking about that though. Yes, it happens and yes it is torture but, that doesn't mean that lfe sentences is advocating torture.
Anytime you make someone feel a sense of regret or remorse for having committed a serious crime (or at least for having been caught), you could argue that that regret--and the sense of isolation and despair that comes along with incarceration--is a form of psychological pain, and that incarcerating someone is then, by extension, committing an act of torture. However, few people would argue that this constitutes cruel or unusual punishment, or that it's even remotely comparable to real acts of torture such as waterboarding. Or to executing somebody.
100% FOR the death penalty - AND I don't think you have to kill someone to get it - intent is good enough for me. Especially since we have DNA testing now. These people need to be taking out of society AND out of the jails so we don't have to spend our tax dollars on them. In jail, you just give them time to corrupt someone else. They are waste and need to be eliminated. They get a chance (many chances through appeals) to explain to the courts why they deserve to live. The person(s) they killed didn't get ANY say on whether they get to live or die. By the way... I used to be vehemently opposed to it, but after life lessons, I see now it is the best option for this day and time.

And I am all for people getting freed from jail because of the new DNA testing.
I see that you are arguing from emotion and not evidence something most death penalty advocates do.
Especially since we have DNA testing now.

Funny, that sounds like evidence to me, not emotion...
I used to be vehemently opposed to it, but after life lessons, I see now it is the best option for this day and time.

That doesn't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service