In memoriam: After years of health problems, Facts has finally died.

Obituary

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TFA thanks for posting this.  I've been viewing the promulgation of lies in the current political cycle, with increasing alarm, the lies of politicians and special interest groups.  In an era when information is more available than ever before, disinformation seems equally or more available.  On the issues of our times, it seems to me that many "pundits" and "experts" depend on "everybody knows", "you know in your heart", "it's always been true" and bogus "studies" without falling back on any real information at all.

I really don't think people are more dishonest now than they were a thousand, or 2 thousand, years ago.  Did Roman emperors depend on truth, or manipulation of information, bribery, theft, and murder?  How about the elites of ancient China?  The Borgias?  How about most religions in most of history - facts?  Lies?  Delusion and psychosis?

The "big lie" concept is so prevalent that it feels like many people don't care that it's a lie - it's just useful.  It worries and angers me.  I don't think it's new, but it bothers me.  I feel like we should know better, and behave better.

Rather reminds me of a similar obit I read some time back for that honorable concept:

Common Sense.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service