As an Atheist, how do you deal with it?

It's definitely, definitely the hardest thing for me. I think about how crappy it is to have a mother who is hurt by my religious decisions, but how much worse would it be to realize that when I lose someone in my family, they're gone forever?

A lot of the Atheists I speak to don't think about it, or don't seem to mind. What do you think?
(Hopefully this isn't a duplicate thread.)

Tags: death

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I lost my godmom 2 years ago and it was a harder death than I could imagine; I don't think losing my own mother will be as hard. She passed in April, so in May I had all her kids (my age) over for mother's day breakfast, and we've done that the two years since as well. Also, watching "The Body" episode of Buffy by Joss Whedon was incredibly cathartic. I just rewatched it a few months ago and bawled my eyes out for a solid hour and at the end I felt more at peace. It was my first time mourning anyone since losing god-belief.
The Body is a brilliant piece of television. I have never seen a more honest portrayal of grief. The most horrific aspects of death are the mundane, everyday things that need to be dealt with in the midst of overwhelming sadness.
I love and appreciate life but I'm afraid of dying,as is any other animal.

I'm no more afraid of being dead than I'm afraid of the aeons for which I did not exist.

This inscription is on a tomb in Pompeii "I was not. I was. I am not. I don't care."

An agnostic atheist,I admit the possibility of error,yet reject the absurdity of Pascal's wager.My atheism is not a choice,rather an inescapable conclusion after an often painful 20 year journey from devout Catholicism.

There are MILLIONS of idiots who claim to know "THE" truth. What do I do?The best I can, by living according to conscience.I'm UNABLE to do anything else,so I don't worry about it.

It's always seemed ironic to me that the theist will never know if he's wrong, but the atheist will get a very rude shock indeed if HE/ShE'S wrong! Do I think that's probable? No,I'm an atheist..
I do like this particular response. I attended a lecture by Dawkins last year. He was asked by a religious man, "Well, if there is no god and no afterlife, then where do you go after you die?"

To my utter glee he responded, "Where you were before you we born. Nowhere."

Of course it is paraphrased, but it is still wonderful nonetheless.
Dawkins was (probably knowingly) summarizing Lucretius (99-55BCE),

Nothing to us was all fore-passed eld
Of time the eternal, ere we had a birth.
And Nature holds this like a mirror up
Of time-to-be when we are dead and gone.
And what is there so horrible appears?
Now what is there so sad about it all?
Is't not serener far than any sleep?
I expect my DEATH to be rather painful - I'm somewhat accident prone and it will probably be self inflicted :D But I'm not worried about what comes after it. I wont be here to enjoy it, or otherwise.

Other people's deaths are hard. I've responded well to the idea they'll be a star someday, or at minimum part of plant.
I'll just jump in here because this is how I think and feel about death. Its molecules and atoms back into circulation. My friends and family, particularly those I'm very close to will still be in my mind. Granted its not as good as having them here but I can deal. I do hate the idea of burial as its carried out now. We practically mummify people. Takes very long for there particles to get back in the system.
The most frightening thought for me in regards to death is someone dieing and not being remembered or missed.
I'll second those thoughts SGecko. When I die I want the most practical use to come of it. Any organs that can be used, use them. If the rest of me can help science by someone in a lab picking my body apart, do it. Cremate the rest. The empty shell I'm no longer using doesn't to take up a little plot of land for the rest of eternity where someone else could build a house or a park or something.

As an alternative to traditional cremation, I've asked a friend to build me a viking ship, put my body in it and set it on fire as it sails down the Colorado river so I might join the rest of the warriors in Valhalla. He's trying to figure out how he would do that without going to jail for it.
I'll be donating my remains to science too. If my body can help someone figure out a cure or something, then I will have accomplished something with my death. Something that no religious ritual can do.
This is how I think about it, too. We all are part of the same world and universe. When we die, our consciousness ends and our bodies turn into something else. Someone I love, I am very attached to that particular combination of matter. Someone famous in history is a revered and celebrated combination of matter. Either way they went back to the planet, and the atoms and molecules that once made up them are now part of something else.

I used to think about death a lot but until lately I hadn't really thought about how the consciousness turns off completely, forever. It shouldn't bother me b/c obviously the loss of consciousness will not be felt at all, but it's kind of a hard thing to come to terms with, especially since it's something that can't be pictured at all. Even so, the idea of living forever is horrific. I think that by a certain age I'll be ready for it.

We all do have one life, should live it to the fullest, etc, but also, don't let that be a pressure on you in the sense that you wasted your life if you didn't accomplish all your potentials. A person can never accomplish ALL their potentials; that's why they're potentials. Nature has a strategy of overabundance, and that is why so many creatures don't even live to adulthood.
I consider death to be the complete end of existence (once your brain is dead there's no way back). Existence is the sum of ideas, thoughts and personality, in my opinion. I've experienced a couple of years ago the lost of close friend due to a car accident. I was shocked when I found out he died; imagine that you would never talk with that person, his ideas are lost forever, regretting that you didn't took enough advantage of the time he was alive. I think this experience made me stronger, I've tried to enjoy life in a better way (a rational way, of course). I believe that even theist in such moments face the reality (they think for a moment that there's no afterlife).
The last person I lost was my godmother, 2 years ago when I was a "fallen away" Christian. I remember cursing God, and crying over and over again, wondering how a good god could take away from the world a caring, wonderful woman. She was a nurse practitioner for Easter Seals who worked with physically deformed infants, teaching their low-income mothers how to love and care for them, not just treat their health problems. She had two adopted kids, and fostered many others. She was the best human I've ever known.

I think for me, death is a lot less sad now. While there's the sadness of knowing I'll never see them again, I don't have to worry that any of my loved ones are roasting in hell. And I don't have to fight with god about the awfulness of death. If it's just a natural outcome of life, then no one is to blame. I can mourn them, celebrate their life, honor their love and accomplishments, and heal and move on, trying to carry the lessons they instilled with me. This is the only immortality that really counts - the mark we leave on those who live after us.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service