Article.

What do you think?

Tags: Astronomy, Physics

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hype.
It is in here somewhere. Take a look... Although it is a long video..

http://www.atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/more-things-in-heaven-and
Sorry to disappoint you guys. They found nothing.
Or, to use their own words, “the results of this analysis cannot be interpreted as significant evidence for WIMP interactions”.

Well, you shouldn't be too surprised. After all, dark matter has never been observed anywhere. It is just another wild idea thrown into Big Bang - in a desperate attempt to save this myth from the growing crunch of real observations.

They found nothing.
And how did mr. Lawrence Krauss react to that?
Here is how, he wrote an article in Wall Street Journal with the following subtitle:
New evidence of the invisible matter that could make up 90% of the universe.

Wishful thinking? Yes.
Science? No!

Read the article, and then read the comments. If you think there's too many comments, skip the first ones and go to page 3, where Liam Scheff enters the arena. The subsequent discussion is well worth the effort.
Liam Scheff also has a follow up blog, also recommended!
Alas, to celebrate would be premature: The reported results are intriguing, but less than convincing.

From Larry Krauss' article you cited. And, BTW, he absolutely does NOT believe in god or the supernatural.

Meanwhile, it is science. The experiments themselves are valid - the limitations are known. If they fail to turn up anything that can hold up to scrutiny - especially if another hypothesis results in supporting evidence - I guarantee that Larry will toss out the idea and look into this other one. THAT is what science is about.
Actually, I personally am not disappointed. Kinda relieved actually.

I'm still holding out hope that it's all a big mistake...
Yes - but note it has its own issues:

Most physicists examined ideal cases, assuming, for instance, that Earth and the sun are spheres, Blas explains: “We checked the more realistic case, where the sun is almost a sphere, but not quite.” General relativity pretty much gives the same answer in both the scenarios. But in Hořava gravity, the realistic case gives a wildly different result.

Nonetheless, the only thing I reject is that either approach is 'not science'. What appears to be true is science is an ongoing process for evaluating what may actually be happening - not a source for absolute truth - as many on this site seem to suggest.

BTW - I find that exciting. Absolutism bores me as much as the idea of eternal life.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service