How hard is it to adjust being an atheist coming out of a religious household. I know for me, i lost alot of family and friends, all of which were baptist christians, When i came out as an atheist.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It can be hard.  You might want to try the group on Nexus,"Life after christian fundamentalism"
Well, obviously the friends weren't friends, and one can't choose one's relatives--it's a genetic crapshoot--and family is often over-rated.  After all, all the murderers the world's ever seen had mommies, and most of the murderers were, themselves, parents.
My brother and two sisters don't bother me about it. Both of my parents have died already so there's no issues there. In an odd way, I guess I'm lucky in that respect.
Sentient Biped is right. You can find support here. However, for me, I take the following, more cynical, approach.

If the basis for a friendship is that the "friend" insists you think and conform your thoughts to what he/she deems acceptable, and can not accept you for who you are and what you are, then I seriously question the basis of the "friendship." As to relatives, who gives a damn. Unlike a wife or husband, they can't divorce you. Only ignore you and talk about you behind your back at the family reunions. And besides, the gossipy bible thumping aunt/uncle or in my case, sister-in-law, probably made lousy potato salad that no one likes anyway. So, who gives a shit!
I agree with what Pat said...you really can learn a lot about who your friends are/are not by "coming out."  That was certainly my experience when I came out as a gay man years ago.  However, it's also true that sometimes people just need time to come around and readjust their understanding of you and what you're about.  If they truly love you, they will.
 Thanks for all of the supportive comments you guys, this really means alot to me and i deeply appreciate all of the support. Thank you.
You can find new friends here. :)
It can certainly be a lonely life as an atheist. I will probably have to keep it very hush until I'm older and could care less about what people think. Just not ready to fight so much ignorance.

I didn't know it could be so hard for people in America - where do you live?? I live in California so I have never experienced a problem even though I live in a conservative county - they are all pretty much secular.

One thing though; look at this one brightside through all the difficulties: if you were living in an Islamic country you might have been executed.

In my case, my immediate family is pretty liberal, so I've had no problems with them. My extended family is heavily evangelical, but extremely nice people who would never do or say something hurtful... at least not to my face. I have found out about some things said behind my back that were less nice, but I don't know who said what or what the details of the situation were, so it's hard for me to say whether there is much of a problem there or not. The feeling I get is that the blame for my atheism is being put against my parents, who apparently have put up with a lot of crap.

The most direct confrontation comes from coworkers who are almost all Christians. Nearly every time I've mentioned that I'm an atheist, some coworker instantly starts quizzing me on evolution or the big bang, like I'm supposed to be some kind of scientist. Though honestly the more intense conversations at work always revolve around politics. When I say that I'm a moderate with liberal leanings, they hear "communist."

what state?
Having a very religious family is the worst lol I can't say that I've lost many friends outright yet, as most do not know, coming out is a tough thing, and I am proud of your choice! it will get easier as time goes on and they either accept that its not going to change or you move on with your life outside of them entirely. I'm not sure of the exact situation with your family as far as acceptance goes, but there are many resources for you out here and hopefully many new friends to replace the ones you've lost. Good luck!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
53 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
55 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
1 hour ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service