I'm currently having an argument with several friends of mine about the constitutionality of the ruling to have the prayer banner removed from Cranston West High School.

The argument is over whether religious displays such as the prayer banner are legal in a public, taxpayer-funded school. I've been doing some research into SCOTUS (that's Supreme Court of the United States, for anyone who doesn't know the acronym) and am wondering if Engel v. Vitale would apply here.

Engel v. Vitale was a 1962 case that determined that it is unconstitutional for state officials to compose an official school prayer and encourage its recitation in public schools. The majority opinion in that case was that "state officials may not compose an official state prayer and require that it be recited in the public schools of the State at the beginning of each school day -- even if the prayer is denominationally neutral and pupils who wish to do so may remain silent or be excused from the room while the prayer is being recited."

I'm not as well-acquainted with the legalities concerning the Cranston case, or with 1st Amendment law. Can anyone comment on this?

Tags: Court, Cranston, SCOTUS, Supreme

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just googled "scotus public school prayer" and found leads to wikipedia info and court cases.

That's what I did as well. Read a number of opinions written by Black but am still trying to make some sense of what it means overall. I'm also curious what the trial judge was thinking when they threw out the Cranston case, and what precedence came into play...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service