Conservative religion vs. Atheism/Humanism views of revenge

Latest Psychology Today blog:

The dark side of vengeance

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my experience, revenge seldom works out.  I feel a certain amount of happiness that bin Laden is gone.  I am glad the deaths and injuries of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines have just been validated.  Now a great criminal mastermind has been eliminated and can no longer hurt people.  That is good.  I am hopeful American and international troops can one day leave Afghanistan a safer place than when they entered it ten years ago.  I feel the world is a somewhat safer place without him.  Am I jumping up and down, cheering and having a party?  No, because I know someone else will take his place.  But I am a bit more optimistic about the future than I was a week ago.
After careful consideration, I think we may have done bin Laden a favor by executing him. He had been a pampered outdoors man but for the last 5 years was confined inside of stone walls, in a spartan house, no internet and living with three wives!

He was already in hell, we released him.

We had to do it of course, for symbolic, emotional and practical reasons. We couldn't let the world think we'd taken him alive for obvious reasons. And - we probably did not!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
5 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
11 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
14 minutes ago
Craigart14 replied to Russell Pangborn's discussion Atheist Reasoning on Gun Control in the U.S
17 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion THE ORIGINS OF US ALL—BY DNA GENETIC ANALYSIS in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
26 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
26 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Question for All Who Read This Posting
27 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion John Jubinsky's DNA Testing Results in the group DNA Tested Nonbelievers
29 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 liked Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
29 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
33 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
53 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service