If Criminals have conscience then what they do ?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ignore it? 

Perhaps conscience is an artificial construct, and none of us have it. Or maybe, some criminals are criminals because that is the only thing They can conscientiously do, like a mother who steals food for her children.

I think that can be true of some criminals.  There are laws I would break to protect my children if that was the only possible way to protect them.  But I wouldn't purposefully (purposely?) go out and commit a crime.

Excellent question.

Socrates believed the voice in his head a gift from the gods; an inner daemon making him unique. More likely, we all have an ongoing discussion in our head, each of us debating the right thing to do. Cool calculation may reveal it profitable to disregard the winner of this debate. After repeatedly disregarding this inner voice, and possibly profiting, the weaker voice may appear as the stronger. That's called "losing your compass".

Personally, I believe being atheist means assuming a larger responsibility for those decisions of conscience. After all, the atheist can no longer rely on scripture or that booming voice from the sky to step in and lead the way. This complicates our lives in some ways yet simplifies it in others. I'm not led by simple instructions from elsewhere but I am more empathetic and have worked to better understand my place in society.

Maybe this is why crime goes down during economically prosperous times. The calculations result in different results. Of course, if the compass is completely lost, the calculations are rigged.

Some of the things the bible says are so immoral they are sick.  Not a good book or a good compass to use!

It's like in cricket.

Does a fast bowler deliberately aiming the ball at the batsmans couilles [french coloq.] have a conscience ? Or, should we ask the question, what for ?

Most people have some sort of conscience, but most people have also been in a situation were they knowingly did something wrong. I am sure we could compile a huge list of those things, and even all the justifications and excuses we all had for doing them. Why should we assume if we did the same for criminals that the list would be much different, better or worse, we are all beings who value our own existence far more that most others after all?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Deidre's blog post A Change Is Gonna Come...
3 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
17 minutes ago
Deidre commented on Deidre's blog post A Change Is Gonna Come...
20 minutes ago
Deidre posted a status
"Almost Friday.........cannot wait! Happy Halloween-eve :) Tonight is 'devil's night' I believe?"
1 hour ago
Pat replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
1 hour ago
Pat commented on Joan Denoo's blog post My Grandfather, Alphonse Fulgentino Jules Denoo
1 hour ago
Profile IconFormer Pastor, kavitha, Jim Reynolds and 6 more joined Atheist Nexus
1 hour ago
booklover replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
1 hour ago
Randall Smith commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Randall Smith commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
2 hours ago
Susan Stanko replied to C.L.A.W.S.'s discussion Stem Cell Research & MS in the group Atheists who love Science!
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service