Conducting a simple atheist study, need un minuto of your time.

Please answer just this one question.

atheism is:

A. the disbelief of gods
B. the belief that there are no gods
C. Other (explain.)

Thanks

Tags: atheism, atheist, definition

Views: 1017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A

I select A.

I like A best. It's a rejection, and B is an absolute statement I could never prove.

Someone suggests below that both A. and B. are correct. I would suggest that each individual would have to answer for him/herself.  I am convinced that all the gods created by humans are not unproven but rather impossible in their own terms.  So B for me.

C. There is no evidence of a god or god's as prescribed by any religion therefore I do not believe a god or gods exist.

atheism is:

A. the disbelief of gods
B. the belief that there are no gods
C. Other (explain.)

I'm afraid I don't understand the difference between A and B.  I disbelieve in gods, and I believe that there are no gods, though I prefer "agnostic" just in case -- for example, I wouldn't argue with Einstein's belief that some forces could be called gods as they participate in creation.  But gods as I think of them, I find unbelievable.

I pretty much like the definition that "Freethought Today" (from the Freedom From Religion Foundation) uses for a freethinker (or atheist for that matter): A person who forms opinions about religion on the basis of reason, independently of tradition, authority, or established belief.

Dave,

A and B seem the same to me.  In Hitch-22, Christopher Hitchens recounts Salman Rushdie's comment on the title of God Is Not Great: it's too long, by exactly one word.

Don't know if you're still compiling data, but I'm going with revised A. 

I read the Wikipedia's atheism page recently and it outlines "weak atheism" basically revised A and "strong atheism" as B as a measure to clarify.  Myself I would consider revised A.

Regarding the original A, when I was in the process of investigating whether to reject Paul's books of the Bible (which I did a while before I scrapped the rest of it), I had to undergo a study of the prefix "dis."  While my study was hardly academic (it was just a few word comparisons), here is my conclusion: While "mis" "un" and "dis" are all similar, "dis" generally seems to indicate an active opposition like in disconnect and discover, "mis" seems to generally operate as some alternate wrongness like in misfire and misplace, and "un" seems to have a very passive negative as in uninterested and unavailable.  I understand there are words that don't fit this scheme entirely, but I think this is their general use.

A such, I would define the strong atheist (per Wikipedia's classification) as disbelief in gods, weak atheist as unbelief in gods and theist as misbelief in gods or misbelief in a god, lol. 

Lack of belief in a deity.
My answer is A

I see no diff. between A and B and would agree with either or both.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service