Atheist Nexus Logo
It sure has not been easy. Black AMERICAN people in my opinion are some of the most superstitious/religious people in the world. The sad part is its mostly because of indoctrination. I am the only atheist in my family. When ask what religion I am I say none. Then that leads to the next question..."what does none mean?" I'm always hearing I will pray for you or silly shit like that. My husband is besides himself and think I will become "immoral". (as if morals come from a god). My mother is OK with me. I will always be her baby. I need mommas love from everybody.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope this is not off topic, but I think its relevant.

First, I commend you for coming out and being honest with your family.  Its very important

for yourself that others understand where you are coming from.

I am white but I have also recently come out.  But, that's not the reason for this post.

In jr high and high school, I had a really good friend, lets name him Jerry.  He was black, I actually

was friends with many black people in school, but Jerry I considered a very good friend.  We spent

a lot of time on the weekends together, and  we had stuff in common like music and a love of comedy.

We grew up but we tried to stay in contact.  We would see each other a few times a year, some years more often, some years less often.  You know how it is.

Well, Jerry became a born again Christian and he knew I was an Athiest.  He knew in high school I was when no one else knew.  Well, he began to preach to me more and more..and I would always say, believe as you like, I don't care what you believe. Respect my position and I will respect yours.  But he would go on and on until one day he told me that he cannot be friends with me anymore because I was an Athiest.

I think it would have been just as wrong if I had said I can't be friends with you because you are black.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Alan Perlman replied to Alan Perlman's discussion Does Obama love America?
5 minutes ago
Alan Perlman replied to Alan Perlman's discussion Does Obama love America?
8 minutes ago
Charlies T. Rentz liked American Humanist Association's group American Humanist Association (AHA)
9 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"After hearing excerpts of Netanyahu's speech, I am starting to think that Israel should be left out in the wind to twist. Not very PC of me."
23 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Jennifer W's discussion Do you believe Jesus existed?
57 minutes ago
Ian Mason commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Asa Watcher's discussion Do you suffer from hopolophobia?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Asa Watcher's discussion Do you suffer from hopolophobia?
1 hour ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service