It sure has not been easy. Black AMERICAN people in my opinion are some of the most superstitious/religious people in the world. The sad part is its mostly because of indoctrination. I am the only atheist in my family. When ask what religion I am I say none. Then that leads to the next question..."what does none mean?" I'm always hearing I will pray for you or silly shit like that. My husband is besides himself and think I will become "immoral". (as if morals come from a god). My mother is OK with me. I will always be her baby. I need mommas love from everybody.

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope this is not off topic, but I think its relevant.

First, I commend you for coming out and being honest with your family.  Its very important

for yourself that others understand where you are coming from.

I am white but I have also recently come out.  But, that's not the reason for this post.

In jr high and high school, I had a really good friend, lets name him Jerry.  He was black, I actually

was friends with many black people in school, but Jerry I considered a very good friend.  We spent

a lot of time on the weekends together, and  we had stuff in common like music and a love of comedy.

We grew up but we tried to stay in contact.  We would see each other a few times a year, some years more often, some years less often.  You know how it is.

Well, Jerry became a born again Christian and he knew I was an Athiest.  He knew in high school I was when no one else knew.  Well, he began to preach to me more and more..and I would always say, believe as you like, I don't care what you believe. Respect my position and I will respect yours.  But he would go on and on until one day he told me that he cannot be friends with me anymore because I was an Athiest.

I think it would have been just as wrong if I had said I can't be friends with you because you are black.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service