The Wall Street Journal recently published a letter from billionaire investor Tom Perkins which compares progressive taxation and criticism of the 1% to Nazi atrocities against the Jews:

Regarding your editorial "Censors on Campus" (Jan. 18): Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its "one percent," namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the "rich."

From the Occupy movement to the demonization of the rich embedded in virtually every word of our local newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, I perceive a rising tide of hatred of the successful one percent. There is outraged public reaction to the Google buses carrying technology workers from the city to the peninsula high-tech companies which employ them. We have outrage over the rising real-estate prices which these "techno geeks" can pay. We have, for example, libelous and cruel attacks in the Chronicle on our number-one celebrity, the author Danielle Steel, alleging that she is a "snob" despite the millions she has spent on our city's homeless and mentally ill over the past decades.

This is a very dangerous drift in our American thinking. Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930; is its descendent "progressive" radicalism unthinkable now?

Tom Perkins

San Francisco

Mr. Perkins is a founder of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.

This strikes me a stupidity of such gigantic proportions that we should raise a public monument to its memory. Six million people died in the holocaust and many more were driven from their homeland and their possessions confiscated. To my knowledge no rich person in the United States has even been jailed. The comparison is so out of proportion that it is obscene.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can certainly think of stronger adjectives than obscene. Then again, given that the definition of 'obscene' is something offensive or disgusting by accepted standards of morality (though, usually applying to sexual matters), maybe it is an appropriate descriptor of this immoral and insidious whining diatribe.

Then again, those with a phony persecution complex will stoop to the lowest, most despicable, and invidious depths to justify that complex.

It's not even surprising to me anymore when I read insane articles such as this one. People are so far removed from reality and common decency.
I really think things have gone too far for humanity to ever stop hurting each other, and hurting the Earth. That's sad, but it's what I think.

This is typical for most VC thinking.  I used to work for a contractor for KPCB doing IT.  They are terribly selfish and justify it by thinking they are doing terribly important work.  They invest money to make more money and offer their wisdom on how to run those companies.  That's it.  It's literally just like Shark Tank.  They are so ruthless in their criticism of the people/businesses that come to them to invest that it bleeds over into how they treat people they think are beneath them.  There are exceptions, but not many.

Welcome to America.

Something happens to people who gain great power or great wealth. They begin to think of themselves as more capable and intelligent than others and less fallible. How could they be successful if they were not superior? Then they begin to make pronouncements on all sorts of things and since they are in a position of eminence, there are fewer people able to correct them. They start to spin out of control and do and say foolish things on a grand scale.

So now the rich are wanting to be compared to the persecuted Jews. (Ah, the poor babies.) Are there 6 million of the rich to be compared here? Are the rich being killed, anilalated, and burned up? WTF.
How could Tom Perkins be that rich and yet be that stupid? I don't have favorablee words for the Occupy crowd either. If you "occupy wall street" you desrve to be hauled off and jailed. If they start allowing that shit, soon somebody will be "occupying" your back yard or your car.
It's a crazy world.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service