http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/12/23/closeted-christians/

Closeted Christians

Ada Calhoun has an article in Salon about how she has been a closeted Christian (until now). She kept her beliefs to herself because she was surrounded by atheists and those who joke about her faith.

… Walking to the subway, I ran into a friend heading home from yoga class. She wore sweats and carried her mat over her shoulder. “Where are you going so early all dressed up?” she asked, chuckling. “To church?” We shared a laugh at the absurdity of a liberal New Yorker heading off to worship.

The real joke? I totally was.

So what’s the right reaction to this piece? Should we feel bad that atheists are being critical of her just because she happens to be religious, or is her tirade unwarranted?

It’s unwarranted.

The problem with her article is that her friends are generally right. They’re not mocking the few positive aspects of faith that Calhoun wants to hype. They’re going after the Christian mindset — the one that is sadly held by tens of millions of people in America — that is anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-science, and tightly aligned with the Republican party.

http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/12/23/closeted-christians/

Tags: Christian, atheist, closeted, ridicule

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion

(caution - going into curmudgeon mode here)

When I read this essay, I though, what stupid, clueless whiny drivel. Here this woman lives in one of the most religious countries in the Western world, and she's whining about not being able to be "out" with her friends about her religion. She's embarrassed because she beleives in god.

Fine, she choses to live among, and befriend, atheists. OK, what about her church friends? Does she find them too boring, too uninspired, to make that her community?

I once knew a convert to Islam who happened to be a gay guy. Nice guy, kind of intense. I thought about him, how could someone choose worse? One or the other, but life is short, and you don't get to have all of the toys in the toystore. Choose to accept that you are gay, or choose islam, but you can't choose both and then whine about not being accepted in either.

This author is the same way. She has to make her choice. And quit whining about it.
Ditto what Daniel just said.

If she was openly Christian and getting bashed unfairly at work (key word; 'unfairly'), then I'd side with her a hundred percent.

But to hide her religion in a country where her religion is the widely accepted majority, to imply (or perhaps outright pretend) that she is not what she is, then she doesn't get to complain.

If I'm a Jew pretending to be a KKK member because I like the monthly picnics then I don't get to suddenly bitch that they're insulting Jews around me.

If I am a KKK member pretending to be a Jew because their pot lucks mop the floor with our monthly picnics, I don't get to suddenly bitch that they don't like the KKK.

If I'm an Atheist, pretending to be Christian so I can meet people (as my dad once suggested I do), then I'd better get used to the idea that my newfound friends are going to spend a fair amount of time tsk-tsking the Atheists.

Or here's a thought: I can be an Atheist, openly Atheist, and whatever friends and loved ones are ok with that can still be my friends and loved ones. Guess what lady; works the same if you're a Christian who wants to be friends with us heathens.
I cannot imagine a place in America today, other than an atheist meeting or convention, where a Christian would find him/herself "surrounded by atheists and those who joke about her faith." I sense just a tad of projection going on here.
I like the friend swap idea Larry.
I think it's an excellent idea for people to be as private in their beliefs as they want the Scientologists to be. Don't bring up religion is you don't want Wiccans to bring up their religion. Don't proselytize if you don't like it when the Jehovah Witnesses do it. And it's fine to be in the closet as a theist... how long have theists kept atheists in that closet.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service