I think one of the things that we far too often overlook in this country is that fact that genital mutilation of newborn boys is common practice, if not standard. Why isn't there more of a cry against this? Do the benefits of circumcision (if any, and I don't see any valid argument that there are any) outweigh the cost and mutilation of a boy?

Of course circumcision isn't the only genital mutilation in the world, but it's the only type in practice in the United States. Female genital mutilation is just as barbaric, if not more so. Americans, and Europeans in general, ban female genital mutilation of babies, but why the hypocrisy in not doing the same for males?

Tags: Christianity, God, Judaism, circumcision, clitoral, covenant, genital, mutilation

Views: 1835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron,
Thank you for your inclusion of intersex persons in this topic. It seems that few come to the defense of these human beings who are born with ambiguous genitalia and are surgically modified when they have no choice in the matter, often to their life-long detriment. The purpose seems to be to make them "fit in" to a society that has obsessions with genitalia in general, and to hell with worring about making them miserable. It seems to me that the Massachusetts law could, as you say, remove gender references.
It is not an obsession with genitalia, but an obsession with fitting a dichotomy. >.X
Well not an obsession genitalia per se, better said an obsession with ignoring genitalia... ignore washing them, ignore playing with them, ignore sharing them... an obsession nonetheless.
The Anti-Male circ bill is dead in water because of one or more of the following

1. The circumcised and indoctrinated physical status of men in power to defeat the legislation

2. The hospital associations which make considerable money from circumcising as many male infants as they can get clearance for. The cost can be as much a 450 to 800 dollars per procedure. Medicaide pays usually less than 100 dollars , but a backward state like West Virginia, pays 300 and more.

3. If this bill ever passed it would cause men to feel they had been violated. That is a frightful thought for most.

4. Jews and Moslems would scream their lungs out and despite what you may hear many doctors trump up the benefits and even write books. They are usually Jews.
Example Edgar Shoen a mohel and AAP member, his procirc crusade has to be driven by far more than science or logic

Also, now deceased Physician Arron Fink, who spend his entire retirement research the alleged medical benefits of routine circumcision and fighting Marilyn Milos of NOCIRC.
No we were able to get her to stay based on humanitarian grounds, but it took a while.
CircInfo is a fetish site. Much less credible than Wikipedia.
You are not appreciating both circumcised and intact penis largely look identical when erect. Take at look at the Wikipedia photo on the World Wide Male Circumcision page.

Men who were cut at birth tend to not understand normal penis anatomy, because how could they with part of it removed.

Now, the glans with dry out and keratinize (spelling?) so the head is less sensitive. If that's an issue depends on the user? Also the meatus or pee hole sometimes will shrink and constrict after circumcision meaning more bladder pressure is needed to eject and empty.

Naeem I would no more believe everything you read at a pro-circumcision site like Circ List than I would on INTACT sites. The truth usually is somewhere in between.
You are not appreciating both circumcised and intact penis largely look identical when erect.

They may appear similiar to the casual observer, but the intact one has twice as many fine-touch pleasure-receptive nerve endings and the skin is slack. The skin slinks up and down the shaft when played with, and enrobes the glans upon a withdrawal action from an orifice. This puts two thicknesses of skin all around the glans, increasing the glans diameter by 4 skin thicknesses. They may look the same, but the reduced one does not feel the same.

Most experienced women report sex with the foreskin intact is more plush and comfortable, with less friction. Intact men report the slinking of the skin over the corona and shaft feels REALLY good. It certainly does in my case. I never tolerate dry friction on my shaft skin now that I know what the frictionless rolling/gliding action feels like. Since I restored my foreskin, my wife and I are having the best sex of our lives despite 19.5 years of familiarity.
Most experienced women report sex with the foreskin intact is more plush and comfortable, with less friction.

Absolutely! It has nothing to do with 'appearance'. Even tho my earlier experience was with all circumcised men (80s Quebec), recent years of travel and different cultures has given me a brand new appreciation of sex, thank you uncircumcised men!

I'd say most circumcised men MUST say they like their penis, they'd better, it's the only one they have... Just like moms who'll say to unwanted kids, that they were wanted and loved just like others... Or people who paid thousands of dollars for a fancy Hummer, they have got to say their's is best, if not they'd have to admit they paid too much for their toys.

I think the best positive forward thought circumcised men can have is to make sure their sons don't get circumcised and let them make that choice later in life.
Strangely, if you do a time trip and look at where male circumcision made in roads beginning in turn of last century, you find only the USA has made essentially no changes. Circumcision remains strong with in most of the country 90-75 percent of male newborns are strapped down and have their privates
dissected.
That is really unfortunate. IMO the fight against neonatal circumcision should be at the top of the list of priorities for atheists in the USA. Mutilation in the name of religion is as important a topic as secularisation of politics and education.

In Canada, cosmetic circumcision is no longer covered by healthcare plans and rates had been dropping steadily, Quebec leading the way, "since doctors concluded there are no valid reasons to justify the ....

Montreal even has a "foreskin-restoration support group".
And this is amazing because Canada once did circumcise and the men who fathered these sons today, may well be circumcised.

Here we have circumcision being faked as a health measure and I can only assume its for the money. Hospitals in US are still circumcising well over 50 percent of newboirn males !

You have to ask, what kind of a stupid and propagandized society, resistant to change, is the USA.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service